BURSON SINGLE AUDIO OPAMPS ! ONE OF THE GREATEST !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is not difficult...

I'll elaborate this a bit. I have been working on getting a realistic sound for nearly 30 years now, i'm not old either! (just over 40). My hearing is good, my perception of subtle changes i would say is good, ie, i am sensitive to subtleties. I don't listen for differences, although they may be heard, i gauge any sonic changes by emotional connection with the music, am i easily distracted by something else or am i drawn into a piece, song, whatever? The bass may be tighter, top end smoother, vocals more prominent, etc etc, but that's does not equate to the what music IS, the emotional connection is what music is about, and that is my endeavour, and believe me, i'm no fanboy of anything, but they work. If they didn't, i'd take them out and put the AD 843 back.

Some may quibble at the cost, mine cost me £50, for what they did this is simply insignificant considering the cost of an ASR, even though it itself is a bargain against the competition. (UK £14,500)

Last edited:
Maybe the electron flow eases up and becomes less constricted because after 100 hrs the atom surfaces have been smoothed out by the friction which accounts for the open airy sound. What a load of hogwash, you agree?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Finally! Some like minded posters!

Do you not think 100hours you might of forgotten what it sound like? I struggled for the 2mins between the two samples!

Nico, your scepticism is very common, it does not surprise me or bother me at all. Your profile states you have worked in audio for many years, and yet you have not figured out why components change over time. Again this is a common phenomenon that scientific minds hear things differently.

I don't know Dr dre either, is he good? Not sure I'd prefer my dog howling though, but I'll check him out, many thanks!

Did you know medical and military equipment has to be "run in" for 100 hours before it keeps people alive...

But that is not to make it heal or kill people better .... Or, in a way, I suppose it is :)

This confusion between "burn-in" or accelerated life testing to reduce / eliminate
early life failures before the equipment gets to a customer and "I can't stand listening to it until it has been propagating an A/C signal for n hours" is amusing - and irritating as we seem to be stuck with it now as an axiom.

SY,

I can't tell when you are serious.

When I tried them I used two CD players, no difference before, a slight difference after. Enough that even switching them everyone here could identify the modded unit.

Yes the measured distortion of the Burson module was higher than the parts it replaced, but it's performance in an electrically "noisy" location was a possible reason for the nicer final sound quality. Then again it could be I prefer the distortion profile.

Simon7000, I think you conclusion is the most accurate: "Then again it could be I prefer the distortion profile"

I have always maintained that there are only different sounding well designed equipment, there are no better equipment.

I ask you: How are you?" and you answer "feeling great" and I ask: "Compared to what?"

Burn-in is a process that we used in military and medical manufactured equipment to find infant mortalities. Temperature cycling or ageing is to find MTBF.

Besides, I have learned in electronics 101 about 40 years ago that the whole purpose of negative feedback is to counter the effects of component ageing, in other words NFB would make your amplifier sound the same from the first moment it is turned on until it one day gives up the ghost.

Actually there is moisture in many of the components that decreases as it burns in. This change is of course reduced by feedback but is not eliminated.

The modern large scale (Think arena & bigger) sound systems would not be possible with vacuum tube era amplifiers even with the feedback they used. Even the volume controls of that era were not stable enough long term to hold their adjustments. Of course tube aging and the effect of the high temperature value shift on capacitors (particularly cathode bypasses) also caused drift.

Modern systems require amplifier gain to be stable within .25 db or better!

ATTENTION HERE !

I OPENED THIS THREAD . STOP. I USED 2 IDENTICAL AMPLIFIERS. STOP. SWITCHING FROM ONE TO ANOTHER (WITHOUT BURN IN - I DON'T REALLY BELIEVE IT 100%) SHOWS ME THAT THERE WAS A HUGE SONIC IMPROVEMENT. STOP. DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ??? STOP. DO YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE HERE WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT IN ONE OF WHICH YOU HAVE INSTALLED A BURSON INSIDE ?? STOP. THEN PLEASE REMOVE YOUR COMMENTS REGARDING GURU MAMBO JUMBO SCIENCE & AT LEAST GIVE THEM A TRY. STOP. THEN POST HERE YOUR COMMENTS. STOP . OTHERWISE - STOP - STOP -STOP ARGUING LIKE THOSE POLITICIANS DOOO....STOPPPPP !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.