Burning Amp 2016

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why no beer? Can I bring a keg or is this a no-booze venue?
Now that you ask, I decided to get the "official" answer on this.

I think my "no alcohol" post was because we cannot SERVE alcohol without getting an alcohol permit (which is freaking complicated and expensive). A quick online Google search seems to indicate that people are allowed to have alcohol at Fort Mason, however, I do not know if there are different rules for the inside spaces that we are renting and the outside spaces (e.g. large open grassy areas, and parking lots).

I will get back to you on this. I am just erring on the side of caution at this point and trying to avoid any potential trouble for me, you, and the future of the event at Fort Mason! Hey if you CAN bring your own, I will definitely not stand in the way.

BEER, BEEER, BEEEEEEER! Mmmmmmm...

Why no beer? Can I bring a keg or is this a no-booze venue?
I have the official answer on this subject from Fort Mason:
If you have alcohol at the event we do need to file an alcohol permit with the National Park Service. Additionally all alcohol needs to be served by a caterer, no self-service allowed.
I'm not going to police attendees but I also do not want to generate any trouble for Burning Amp either. Having a caterer that can serve beer is complicated and expensive and we just do not have the resources for that kind of thing.

GET YEA BEEAH HEEAH:
If you want a good beer on the up-and-up at the show I suggest you check out The Interval at Long Now, a unique bar and coffee shop in the vicinity of Building C (it's in Building A. They have a full bar.

The Interval at Long Now would also be a cool place to rendezvous after Burning Amp itself closes down to chat over a beer or cocktail (they also serve wine and sparkling wine). Their menu (including some mixed drink suggestions) is available here: Menu for The Interval at the Fort Mason Center. The Interval is open 10AM to midnight every day.

I have the official answer on this subject from Fort Mason:

I'm not going to police attendees but I also do not want to generate any trouble for Burning Amp either. Having a caterer that can serve beer is complicated and expensive and we just do not have the resources for that kind of thing.

GET YEA BEEAH HEEAH:

If you want a good beer on the up-and-up at the show I suggest you check out The Interval at Long Now, a unique bar and coffee shop in the vicinity of Building C (it's in Building A. They have a full bar.

The Interval at Long Now would also be a cool place to rendezvous after Burning Amp itself closes down to chat over a beer or cocktail (they also serve wine and sparkling wine). Their menu (including some mixed drink suggestions) is available here: Menu for The Interval at the Fort Mason Center. The Interval is open 10AM to midnight every day.

Well, that's unfortunate, but that's the way it goes. Thanks for digging in, Charlie :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In past years I have brought various drivers for give away but I never know what people want so this year I thought I would post what I have first and if nobody wants it, into the bin it goes! We've been cleaning up the NHT warehouse and I'm going through the samples we've collected over the years. Today I found some 12" woofers that have to go. They are a little dusty and some of them have white dots on the cone where we bounced a laser off of them. I'm going to test them and if they are good I'll post a picture and specs. My idea is: If someone wants it, let me know and I'll put your name on it and bring it to the BA. I hope this is OK the the BA folks, or if you have a better idea let me know. Also if you have a request for something you think we have I'll see what I can do (within reason). No beer at BA, bummer...

I started a thread for the free drivers in the swap meet forum so I don't clog up this one.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/298201-free-stuff-burning-amp-nht.html

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Charlie:
I took about 2 doz. moving blankets that were my "private stock" but we have a goodly number (about 40) that are the show's property and still in the USA. I will be coming back to the US from Costa Rica where I mostly live now so can bring them to the show. Do you want them? They really made a difference in the past IMHO, as you mentioned the place is pretty echo ish without them . While I've stored them over the years sometimes with some help from volunteers, I don't have access to any storage after this.

It's a simple matter to get some more blankets though:
https://www.moverssupplies.com/cata...6/s/moving-pad-economy-medium-45/category/82/

so for under $150 you can get enough to replace what's gone - or I'd suggest get a couple of dozen more, "Mo' is better" And then you'll make this a "better than before BAF"

VARIOUS AND SUNDRY BURNING AMP TIDBITS FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE
This year, as you well know, we are back at the Fort Mason echo chambers. The bad news is Mark had to use up a good portion of the moving blankets, um, well... for moving! So there may be some or none of them available this year for sound abatement. If anyone has some bright ideas on how we can get some sound panels for the day, or anything else that will suck up sound, please post here or contact me. If you can store sound adsorption materials (in your garage, storage locker, etc), and can bring them to the event and take them back home again afterwards, please contact me.

HEY Y'all! This below is a GREAT point! People often come to BAF to find out more about DIYing Audio stuff, ie to LEARN! and if you just prepare an info sheet as Charlie has proposed, it would make the event so much more meaningful for the newbs . Maybe even make some copies. What an honor!, someone liking your project enough to take home info about it. So include the names of the amps, preamps etc., some specs and where to get the parts such as PCB's etc.
VARIOUS AND SUNDRY BURNING AMP TIDBITS FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE
Burning Amp is much more interesting when people can read about what they are looking at. Wow, here's a nice electronics chassis with some connectors on the table! What is it? Don't make attendees GUESS. PLEASE prepare a short description (e.g. 1 page or less) of your project at home, print it out, and bring it with you. You cannot always be there every second to explain your project, and even if you are this will give someone other than the person you are talking to at the time a chance to get an idea about it. Some point you can include are: What is it (preamp, amp, headphone amp, etc)? Did you design this or did you build a kit? What is novel about it (parts used, construction techniques, etc)? What are your own thoughts about it, and would you recommend it for someone else to build, etc. This kind of info can make browsing around the floor much more informative and can cover the basics so that you will not need to repeat them over and over again.

Last edited:
Any idea on the number of people bring gear compared to space so far? Am toying with the idea of bringing along some 'Nostalgia' room gear (rebuilt Pioneer RT-707 for source, Sansui/Luxman rebuilt amp(s), Allison speakers again since the great man passed away this year), but if space it tight would rather leave it for the true DIYers.

Cheers
David

Any idea on the number of people bring gear compared to space so far? Am toying with the idea of bringing along some 'Nostalgia' room gear (rebuilt Pioneer RT-707 for source, Sansui/Luxman rebuilt amp(s), Allison speakers again since the great man passed away this year), but if space it tight would rather leave it for the true DIYers.

Cheers
David

If you rebuilt or DIY'd part of these, then you are more than welcome to bring this stuff and show it off, etc. Wow, I don't think we have had a reel-to-reel tape player in a while (if ever). If your preamp (which you didn't list) has a phono input you might be quite popular...

As for who is bringing what, that is often somewhat of a mystery until about 10am at the show! There is a separate thread HERE in which some people are posting about what they will be bringing to Burning Amp. You might post there.

UPDATE / CORRECTION:

Due to a misunderstanding on my part, I previously stated that Bob Cordell would be talking about a preamp. Nope! It's a neat power amp project that uses a full complementary JFET input stage and Lateral MOSFETs in the output stage. Tentative title for Bob's talk is:

"A Re-designed Hafler DH-220 MOSFET Amplifier with a full-complementary front-end using the LSK489/LSJ689"

Given the reputation of the DH-220 this should be a very interesting talk, and a project that might be in our (collective) futures!

I'll likely be counterpoising Mr. Cordell's offering with a "fake complementary" input via the magic of current mirrors feeding a lateral output stage.

In simulation, I couldn't see the difference between fake or real complementary inputs except for keeping the parts vendors happy. As far as real listening is concerned, let the dice fly high...

are we planning on having a swap-meet area, this year?

I have a few amps and other audio things I'd like to sell (hafler dh220, dh500, some other stuff, too). if we plan to have an area that is managed (watched) and we take turns manning that area, perhaps it could be a good service for those that have extra gear that is no longer needed.

are we planning on having a swap-meet area, this year?

I have a few amps and other audio things I'd like to sell (hafler dh220, dh500, some other stuff, too). if we plan to have an area that is managed (watched) and we take turns manning that area, perhaps it could be a good service for those that have extra gear that is no longer needed.

If you mean the raffle, then YES! The raffle will be held in the Firehouse at noon (see schedule) during lunchtime when most everyone will be there anyway. The raffle is for free donated things only.

If you want to SELL (or swap) items then you need to arrange that yourself at where ever you will have your spot in the meeting rooms upstairs. You might want to start a thread in the Swap Meet forum in which you list the items you want to sell and try to connect with buyers in advance of the show. You can then post a link to that thread here.

Last edited:
THIS IS A PLEA FOR ASSISTANCE STORING MOVING BLANKETS

The meeting rooms at Fort Mason have lots of hard (concrete block) surfaces which make the acoustics rather bad if left untreated. In the past, moving blankets taped to tables have been used to soak up some of the reverberation in key places. We can do this again, but only with your help. Most importantly, we need someone to volunteer to take away and STORE the blankets after the show and bring them to next year's event. Mark still has some blankets, and we can get a few more if these can be stored locally. Neither Mark nor I can do this. The amount of room needed is about the size of a large refrigerator and the blankets can be spread out and packed into nooks and crannies. If you can step up and help us out we, and everyone attending Burning Amp, will very much appreciate it. Please contact me asap. Thanks.

Burning Amp

I am coming up from LA to Burning AMP. As I have posted in the past, there is no such group in So Cal. Maybe others from his area will show up and we can get an interest group together.

Not bringing anything with me (this time), but look forward to meeting you all

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ok, finally have all my travel arrangements worked out. So I'll be there for sure. So;

Saturday night (Nov. 12) pre-BAF dinner -

Great Eastern Restaurant (In the heart of Chinatown. Near the Portsmouth Square parking garage if you are driving)

The food is amazing. Last year literally everything was cleaned of the plates, we loved it so much. It's one of my 'must-go' to SF restaurants, it's never been anything other than wonderful. :) :) :)

649 Jackson Street
San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 986 - 2500

Great Eastern Restaurant | San Francisco, CA 94133 (Humorously simple website)

Please PM me so I can coordinate. Thanks!!

-Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.