Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is a matter of 'cut and try' It is not necessary to have a cable burner, just put a CD on continuous play, and you can break in most small connecting cables. You can get a cheap power amp, even used, and break in speaker wire. You don't have to listen either, just get a big resistive load. My former business partner did this for years. There is one unfortunate problem. If you are serious and are breaking in a number of wires over a long time, then the police might think that you are growing pot, because your electric bill will be above average, and will attempt to bust you. This has happened.

Personally, I can't prove there are differences in red wine, but there is. Perhaps it is yet another hallucination that we are subjected to. I have seen people fooled by the same wine in different labeled bottles. Are you one of those people? I take it as a matter of faith in myself and my associates that we are not lying to ourselves or each other. Kind of a waste of time and money, I should think, to be deliberately fooling ourselves.
Be it wine or wires, proper storage and temp for serving wine, or broken in cables for final evaluation, there is little or no difference to me. It could all be myth and mysticism.

Actually, I know of an expensive wine merchant just 2 buildings away. I don't shop there, too expensive and exotic for me. However, in the spirit of things, maybe I should formally protest the place, publish the vendor's name here, and make a scathing attack of all the money being made at the expense of gullible, but well off, customers. After all, there are lots of liquor stores nearby, and even a Safeway. Why should this person waste valuable real estate, selling an addictive beverage, that is obviously overpriced and over-hyped? See what I mean? '-)

Actually, I know of an expensive wine merchant just 2 buildings away. I don't shop there, too expensive and exotic for me. However, in the spirit of things, maybe I should formally protest the place, publish the vendor's name here, and make a scathing attack of all the money being made at the expense of gullible, but well off, customers. After all, there are lots of liquor stores nearby, and even a Safeway. Why should this person waste valuable real estate, selling an addictive beverage, that is obviously overpriced and over-hyped? See what I mean? '-)

are you drinking some now ?

Personally, I can't prove there are differences in red wine, but there is. Perhaps it is yet another hallucination that we are subjected to. I have seen people fooled by the same wine in different labeled bottles. Are you one of those people? I take it as a matter of faith in myself and my associates that we are not lying to ourselves or each other. Kind of a waste of time and money, I should think, to be deliberately fooling ourselves.
Be it wine or wires, proper storage and temp for serving wine, or broken in cables for final evaluation, there is little or no difference to me. It could all be myth and mysticism.

John. Yes I am one of those persons who can be fooled, by red wine, and cables.
It is an interesting problem as to what is real and what is a construct in our clever minds. Maybe we will never know for sure.

Meanwhile there is always wine and music to enjoy. :)

I have to ask. ;) Where is the 'evidence and knowledge' about the efficacy of cable burners?

Two wrongs make a right? My side gets a truth, your side gets a truth? I honestly don't understand the question or the position behind it. It's logically possible for Hagerman can be perfectly honest and perfectly wrong. I don't know what the case is but I don't see any consistency in claiming strict adherence to logical process and evidence and much of what's going on here. Maybe the bizarre ability to strongly believe one way and act another is why we make such good terrorists. ;)

.......I honestly don't understand the question or the position behind it. It's logically possible for Hagerman can be perfectly honest and perfectly wrong. I don't know what the case is but I don't see any consistency in claiming strict adherence to logical process and evidence and much of what's going on here. Maybe the bizarre ability to strongly believe one way and act another is why we make such good terrorists. ;)

I am not attacking Hagerman and I'll take your word on his honesty, if not his wisdom in presenting his burners as if they were just another good product. I am sure he is aware that there is no scientific proof that cable burners work and maybe this should be acknowledged.

If you had understood my question you could have said that at this point in time the only evidence is anecdotal.

And on that note How Anecdotal Evidence Can Undermine Scientific Results: Scientific American

All the best for the New Year. :)

If you had understood my question you could have said that at this point in time the only evidence is anecdotal.

It's really about neither. In this context Hagerman's evidence or whether he's correct is irrelevant. It's about the claims being made about him. Proclamations of scientific principle are as binding on the speaker as they are admirable. Claims about Hagerman's, Curl's or the intentions of many others as are bandied about here require the same standards of evidence. Choosing to be scientific when it suits isn't scientific. No one who does so should expect acceptance of their claim.
Incidentally, SY usually holds to a higher standard in that regard than anyone I know, but hey-zeus some of the others here wear 'science' like a high school team jersey.

All the best for the New Year. :)

Likewise. :)

I am here, I can defend myself, (more or less) and I am a bigger target. Chicken? ;-)
Yet you consistently and continuously dodge and evade one simple truth:
You have ZERO objective evidence or fact showing that you or anyone else can hear any difference whatsoever between a burned in and a non burned in cable.
Personally, I can't prove there are differences in red wine, but there is.
Of course you can! Nearly anyone can easily and repeatedly discern a difference (or lack thereof) between wines, using their sense of taste alone. Some even by vineyard and even vintage. These conclusions are repeated and confirmed or denied constantly in many publications. Alleged taste differences are then repeatedly and objectively demonstrated as a matter of course in even casual wine tasting events, etc.
So it's your belief that wine temperatures are also mythical and indiscernible except for a few enlightened and highly educated connoisseurs with golden tongues? Just like your magic burned-in wires? How is it that ( in spite of your supposed degrees experience and training ), you haven't even a rudimentary understanding of scientific method, and/or the difference between subjective and objective observation.
After all, there are lots of liquor stores nearby, and even a Safeway. Why should this person waste valuable real estate, selling an addictive beverage, that is obviously overpriced and over-hyped? See what I mean? '-)
No, we don't. Anyone can blind taste test wine, and show that they can tell a difference. Practically anyone, after having the simplest of wine tasting instruction or demonstration, can discern differences which exist objectively between even very similar and expensive wines. Whether those very small refinements are worth the premium is entirely up to them.
The same would be true of wasting time telling others they will hear a difference after cable burn-in... Except that NO ONE can hear the difference.

Last edited:
The same would be true of wasting time telling others they will hear a difference after cable burn-in... Except that NO ONE can hear the difference.

If you can't, who cares, I can and if you want proof you are welcome to visit. I'm 100% sure even you will hear the differences.

I wish burn-in of cables and equipment wasn't true because it is frustrating and a waste of time but unfortunately necessary if you want to do realistic comparative tests.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.