Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Can anyone explain me why I should burn in speakercables? Instructions about burning in can be found at Bruce Brisson's DIY Audio Cables (Do-It-Yourself) - Kits for Speaker Cables, Power Conditioners, Audio and Subwoofer Interconnects.

As far as I am concerned, a cable is just a piece of copper with insulation, in which nothing changes if you burn it in (except if you use high currents and a cable gets hot, which is not normal for audio purposes).

Greetings
Jan-Edwin

Compared to the amplifier and speakers the cable makes very little difference to the sound unless your using a wet piece of string !

"... Believing in Ohm's law, they feel strong in their brotherhood." This was written by a Ph'D professor of engineering, more than 24 years ago. Sound familiar? Notice any similarity here?"
Again, you use big sounding credentials and words to bolster your outlandish claims, yet you refuse to even acknowledge that you are completely without facts in showing how they matter with reference to listening. You have nothing but a few gullible fools to erroneously back your claims.
You can't hear a difference yourself, or show a meaningful difference to others, you have only deluded yourself into thinking so.
Anybody learn anything yet?
I learn new things every day. I believe however in this case, it is you who needs to go back to school, and drop the smugness. Clearly, you think you know more than you do.
"...After all, my income comes from people liking and buying my designs, even if they are not conveniently available at your local discount store. '-)
All this proves is that there is a sucker born every minute. If your stuff is that good, why sell it with all this 'I know more than you' pseudoscience nonsense?

I'll state my point again. You, John Curl, have never shown that you can hear a difference between a 'burned in' cable, and the same cable that isn't 'burned in'.

I like credentials, I wish I had more, so I must work 'from the shoulders of giants'. I hired my first PhD, 35 years ago. They can be VERY USEFUL. However, SY does have a PhD and he is the fundamental critic here, not you. That is why I bring an equal heavyweight in, to put my opinions in parallel with.

Yeah, but where there's ignorance, there's scammers, in this case selling "cable burn in" gadgets
Could be. But I REFUSE to call Jim Hagerman a scammer. All his stuff is very well engineered. And he is a real engineer. All his stuff is VERY fairly priced. And he builds and sells a burn in gadget. But also as a kit if I'm not mistaken.

Hagerman Technology LLC

Last edited:
Could be. But I REFUSE to call Jim Hagerman a scammer. All his stuff is very well engineered. And he is a real engineer. All his stuff is VERY fairly priced. And he builds and sells a burn in gadget.

Hagerman Technology LLC

He sells a gadget because there is money to be made in it. Just like people taking their automobiles to the dealership for service even though the labor and parts prices far exceed their worth.

ANYONE that claims you can hear wires has zero credibility with me, no matter what their reputation, education, or quality of their other products.

All his stuff is VERY fairly priced. And he builds and sells a burn in gadget.

$449 for a sweep and pulse generator is a little high in my book when this exists HOLM Acoustics and cheap 192kHz cards are coming with most computers now. Not calling him any names or anything just it's not the 90s anymore and that is not a fair price to me for what it accomplishes.

ANYONE that claims you can hear wires has zero credibility with me, no matter what their reputation, education, or quality of their other products.
That is fine. Everyone is entitled to his opinion. But to actually come out and tell us why he sells something is just without any basis whatsoever. And then you go on and compare it to something utterly unrelated and irrelevant??

$449 for a sweep and pulse generator is a little high in my book when this exists HOLM Acoustics and cheap 192kHz cards are coming with most computers now. Not calling him any names or anything just it's not the 90s anymore and that is not a fair price to me for what it accomplishes.
I get what you are saying. For some it would be less than a fair price if they find it actually accomplishes nothing at all. But generally speaking I find his stuff fairly priced. Essentially it is something with a psu. Rack mount chassis, 8 rca plugs 8 pairs of binding posts. XLR connectors, pcb parts etc..etc.

Could be. But I REFUSE to call Jim Hagerman a scammer. All his stuff is very well engineered. And he is a real engineer. All his stuff is VERY fairly priced. And he builds and sells a burn in gadget. But also as a kit if I'm not mistaken. Hagerman Technology LLC

He sells four, The FryCorder, The FryBaby, FryKleaner, and the FryDaddy.

The FryBaby can do this, "....The background of soundstage was completely dark, so it was easier to see the musicians and instruments..... "

I can only imagine what the FryDaddy is capable of.

Well I think that's what I paid for my last 192kHz soundcard. It has combo Neutrik 1/4" / XLR, 4 mic pre-amps that sound cleaner than anything I know of pre dating 2000, and when you are done burning in your cables you can play or record some music with it. But who knows what kind of labor they use to accomplish these low prices so who am I to gauge whats fair - it's relative I guess. It's just I don't think I could ever justify the purchase.

Jim sells some excellent equipment (and has done some first rate designs and articles). He also sells total scam stuff. That puts him in a much more tenable position than the pure scammers like Kait or the guys who sell CD demagnetizers or $10k cables.

edit: Looking at Jim's site, he doesn't seem to list the cable burn-in stuff for sale anymore. Kudos!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.