Built the TU-8200R - Now what?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all! I’ve had a fair amount of soldering experience helping out friends with LED projects, but I don’t know a lot about electronics in general. I built the TU-8200R and 8500 as a quarantine project, and it was a ton of fun. It turned on and worked great on my first try! It is a really incredible kit with some of the best instructions I’ve ever seen. Between the instructions and the clarity of the PCB board, it is really hard to mess up.

However, now that I’ve got it, I want to tinker and play. I’ve got the DAC kit, but I don’t know exactly how to install it. I’ve also seen a few people talking about replacing some capacitors for audio quality, and some other folks talking about “tube rolling”.

What upgrades have people done with their TU-8200, and why?

What tubes do people enjoy “rolling” on their TU-8200?

Has anyone set up a raspberry pi as a streamer?

I’m hoping to learn electronics a bit more, so if anyone has resources they recommend, please pass them on!

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hi,

There is plenty of information on this forum if you read through the TU-8200 related threads.

My recommendation on tube rolling is simple - don't try too many tubes. Not just because old tubes from unknown source may damage your amp, but also because it can be expensive and frustrating. You will always find some tubes that do one or two particular things better than other tubes that do everything else better. Also, using different source components or headphones/speakers can lead to different conclusion.

Hi Myles,
Have you got the Elekit DAC? Are you missing the instruction manual? I can send you the PDF file if you wish. The TU-8200R has prepared holes for the DAC as you certainly know. I installed it a few days ago too.
I really enjoyed the process of assembling the amp, pre-amp and DAC as well. I worked slowly and now I am missing the nice time spent on it :)
I was thinking about another kit, but it is too expensive for me and I am not sure if it is worth it. I am a newbie in hi-fi. Here is the link.
ANK-Audiokits-DAC2.1-Non-Oversampling-Valve-Rectified-Tubed-DAC
I am working on a big spectrum analyzer now which I will connect to my hi-fi devices. If you want, check this link:
Part.3 14 Band Spectrum Analyzer | Acrylic Tower - YouTube
Best regards, Milan

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_235111_689.jpg
    IMG_20200928_235111_689.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20200928_235218_938.jpg
    IMG_20200928_235218_938.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20200928_235300_246.jpg
    IMG_20200928_235300_246.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 212
Thanks for the great links to some of your other project ideas!

I have the English directions for the DAC, but I don’t see how it wires in to the rest of the system. Do you just power through USB and then jumper the 3.5 on the backside? I know you can also power off of the system if you know what you are doing. I’m going to read through the instructions a few more times tonight to make sure I haven’t missed anything.

I’m also curious about the external clock integration. How does an external clock benefit the system? My pie in the sky idea is to build some sort of nixie clock that could somehow feed clock information (though I understand that is kind of silly)

I really appreciated the spreadsheet of alterations from Fenec. I’ve got a cart going on Digikey, but I’m having trouble finding one of the capacitors. Probably just user error though, I’ll reach out if that continues to be a problem.

Yes, you jumper the DAC externally with a 3.5mm male to male cord. I've tube rolled many many power tubes in my 8200, its really fun. One of my favorites is the KT77 which I am back on right now, I find them very tight and punchy, but your mileage may vary, LOL. I wouldn't rush to any modifications, just enjoy the great little system you have now, that's what I'm doing right now! Congrats on your builds!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.