• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Building monoblocks, go Dynaco MKIII or.....?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just an update for those who are still following this thread.

I've decided to go for Bob Latino's M125 kit (tubes4hifi amplifier KITs page).

At US$1778 for the pair (without tubes), they're a bit more than I planned to spend, but I'm reading good reports on them.

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice and comments!

I appreciate it.
Good choice, you will find excellent support if you need! The kit's are well documented and parts packaged with nice markings.
You won't regret this !

Congratulations on the decision to go with Bob Latino's M125 kit and I hope you will post the results. I have followed for years the offerings of a number of you guys on this and other sites and have learned much. That said, I just can not understand how it is that everything I have done for my old Dynasaur MKIIIs has made a difference over the past two decades. They are called the '57 Chevys on the local scene where proprietary SET 45 designs drive 105+db huge horn loaded designs cruise the Autobahn. Maybe its the driver board replacements, or the Cardas rhodium jacks 'n plugs. Or the old style Mark Levinson speaker cables. Or the external linear filament supplies. Certainly full internal high grade wiring can't hurt. Very good caps certainly clean up the exhaust. All the other standard stuff has been done of course. And triode strapping lets em run in class A, effortlessly powering a pair of 101db speakers. As a recovering jazz drummer myself, Roy Haynes' cymbals breathe into the room with a such a shimmer that you can nearly see the rainbow diffraction off the brass--and the kick drum's got PRAT. Do they do what those Ferraris do? No. But these drive the room with presence and grunt. I truly enjoy all of my friends' rigs, so no competitiveness here--I just keep tuning what I have to bring a little of what they've go into the studio. The further I go, the more audible the differences with each tweak or mod. Certainly, they reach a limit, but for most, it is on a far horizon. I do not think many MKIIIs have been brought up to their considerable potential. (BTW, they are driven by a very very well executed design found in the 1954 RCA Tube Manual--the "New Orthophonic Line & Phono Stage" which hides inside a Dyanasur PAS3 chassis.) Unless one has great bucks, work on these units can pay off handsomely. And yes, if you don't woodpecker 'em to death, you'll get your money and more out of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.