Building Elvee's Circlophone: Documentation, Parts, Accessories, & beginner friendly

Just got a set of OscarGolf/Stallion Circlo PCBs and have started populating them. Getting close now that I'm waiting on a couple of capacitors and some heatsink, so a quick question, how large should I size my xformer for a stereo pair. Just wondering if my single 18-0-18 100VA that I have available will suit my needs, or should I order a second to match, and dual mono my power supply as well?

Last edited:
Hello to all,
still looking for the contribution that you can build or operate the Circlophone with a single power supply.
As far as I know, the rail voltage was +50V.
Elvee had once provided a circuit diagram.
Does anyone know advice?

Thanks
@oscargolf - have you tried or made any progress on a single supply Circlophone? Has anybody built a single rail C yet? I would certainly be interested in a set of boards or the gerber files if possible.

Any noticeable difference in sound quality Elvee?
I've been reading both here and in the main thread. Would really like to try a (normal/original) C, but still not clear on what PSU to use. Using smps supplies is so much simpler and a much cheaper option in our part of the world. I've even used two smps supplies in series for a dual rail Class A amp before.

Maybe I must clarify - not sure if the C benefits more from a linear supply, or does it have a constant current draw like a Class A, which benefits from cap multiplier supplies.

The core of the C remains the same, and if you use a generous enough output cap, there should be no difference.
The C does not require a linear supply: it has a high enough PSRR, but SMPS's have other issues than just differential noise/ripple. They also introduce common mode perturbations appearing between the general GND or PE, or the ambient "aether", resulting in difficult to solve issues, mainly buzzing sounds, various noises or hum.
If you use a class II linear supply, you don't have to worry about ground loops, etc.
That said, it is perfectly possible to integrate a class I SMPS and have a perfectly quiet noise floor, but it is more demanding, and each time you connect an additional source, you might find yourself in trouble

Reactions: 1 users
Almost ready to launch. I will install big caps once the amp is up an running.

Attachments

• IMG_20231111_183050314.jpg
    IMG_20231111_183050314.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: 2 users
Playing music for the first time. One channel at the time. No surprises.

Interestingly, when I mute the source and stick my ear into the speaker I can hear nothing. This amp is really silent :)

Next steps: assembly the big caps, install the second transformer and listen in stereo.

circlophone-2023-11-26-22-18-44-307.jpg

Reactions: 1 users