• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Building an open embedded audio applicance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now I am completely confused

I have been eagerly following this since it started. I thought there was going to be a cape on a BBB that gives well timed jitter free I2S from a BBB into my I2S capable DAC. (in my case a TDA1541a.

Sounds like there was a paradim shift. Can someone help me understand what it is now? Does it replace my WaveIO or somehow complement it?

I have been eagerly following this since it started. I thought there was going to be a cape on a BBB that gives well timed jitter free I2S from a BBB into my I2S capable DAC. (in my case a TDA1541a.

Sounds like there was a paradim shift. Can someone help me understand what it is now? Does it replace my WaveIO or somehow complement it?

WaveIO is a USB to I2S converter. This is a way by which the BBB can be used to output I2S directly rather than via USB. In fact it can already do this but it is compromised by the poor onboard clock which is single frequency. What Russ is creating addresses this and we will have a streaming device with an I2S output of hifi standard.

Jitter free - probably not; very low jitter - yes.

With this recent talk of isolation and power sequencing, I have 2 questions, please:

i) will it be feasible to give the Cronos/Hermes-BBB combination its own power supply, as opposed to taking the BBB's 5V supply?
ii) if yes, would an unexpected power outage to the Cronos/Hermes-BBB adversely affect the (still powered) BBB?

I am working out final details with Brian and Miero on the Hermes-BBB PCBs.
Please, please keep the "offset" layout of your earlier Botic PCB design ie. jutting out beyond the P9 connector.
Since my BBB will be in its own (metal) case, I will then be able to connect my I2S cables to the underside of the Hermes-BBB board, and straight down to my DAC enclosure, which will sit immediately beneath.

Please, please keep the "offset" layout of your earlier Botic PCB design ie. jutting out beyond the P9 connector.
Since my BBB will be in its own (metal) case, I will then be able to connect my I2S cables to the underside of the Hermes-BBB board, and straight down to my DAC enclosure, which will sit immediately beneath.

I think you will be happy with the layout. :)

It is finished BTW - Brian and I are just double checking part fits and hole alignments between the BBB/Hermes/Cronus :)

We added the battery backup with automatic shutdown/reboot back into the Hermes along with 4 user assignable LEDs and drivers to indicate what the source is doing (Play, Mute, DSD/PCM, etc)

I have already implemented a sweet little node.js server and responsive mobile web app to control/configure the DAC/Source via the BBB. :)

This is going to be some serious fun.

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.