• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Building an open embedded audio applicance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok - well here is what I have so far. Very basic it basically just brings P5 out to a terminal block with uFL connectors for the PCM/DSD signals. Along with that is a header for Teleporter (which is perfect for this application). I currently use a teleporter at the pi and at the B3SE. I leave GND floating - so I have my DAC nicely decoupled from the pi. Works like a champ, but it also works great even with GNDs connected.

Now - so much empty board space means I am free to add stuff, and I am happy to.

A couple of ideas I had.

• I2S to SPDIF conversion (WM8804). (with toslink?)
  • Maybe some basic DAC - ES9023?

Open to suggestions.

Attachments

• rpi-audio.jpg
    rpi-audio.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 721
Last edited:
Regards suggestions re board for the RPi or BBB.

I am personally hanging out for a cape for the BBB with oscillators etc. plus associated drivers to allow its use for I2S and bitperfect output for 41khz CD based files in particular. If you produced such a board I would be first in line. No need for SPDIF or even a DAC onboard tho I think the option of a Transporter is a good one.

There are already offerings out there for the RPi, both DACs and SPDIF so my humble suggestion is concentrate on the BBB cape. There seems general agreement its the better hardware platform and the way to go for Audio and plenty of people waiting on this solution.

I already have a RPi connected via I2S to a ES9023 - nice short wires - very simple to implement and works faultlessly. But what I want to do is have the BBB working via I2S (using it via USB at the moment) into a better DAC to use in my primary music system.

Here's hoping!

BBB is much more attractive than rpi, thats for sure! :)

Alternative, the Cubietruck hw has bitperfect I2S out and is confimed supported by Volumio any day now, so this is a cheap, flexible and potent alternative. Cubieboard | A series of open ARM miniPCs

Cheers

Interesting, do you have any pointers to documentation/discussion around this? Did a quick Google and saw some discussion but nothing definitive re bitperfect. Do you know if it actually has the 2 necessary oscillators onboard?

This whole area of embedded appliances is fast moving - exciting in a geekish kinda way!

The Cubietruck thing looks to be more than double the price of the BBB, so it should have something to offer. I agree the documentation and detailed discussion threads are a bit scarce also.

I think the BBB will offer sufficient performance technically once the issues around clocks and drivers are cleared up. Mine is still 2 weeks away according to the UK supplier (RoboSavvy).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.