Building a World-Class Cascoded Balanced XF5 on a Budget

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very interesting thread. I am especially interested in the cascode discussion. Having recently looked into building F3, I had considered other ways to take advantage of the cascose modulation technique. I had thought of implementing it in the BA style amps in the VAS or second stage, using the LU jfets. May not work having not simmed it yet. I am also unsure about how the differential pair would affect the sound normally ascribed to the LU devices.one thing is for sure, if you read all the Pass articles, you have evrything you need to buils a world class amp, that is if someone will buy you a distortion analyzer.

I believe that's my next purchase. It would make tuning the cascode possible, as well as a number of other experiments.

One question, there are a few computer sound card oscilloscope programs (I have Visual Analyzer), would they be able to do a distortion analysis? I am not good enough with the program to tell.

There is computer based stuff out there, but you spend quite a bit on a quality sound card and then you still have inherent problems with computer noise. I think if you built a super quiet PC and then got a good card, you may have something helpful, but I am just speculating. For interesting read, go back and really look at DIY OpAmp article, as well as PLH.

Hi NYCOne

I have been folowing this as well and share buzzforb view so big tanks for posting.
Did you try cascode as Papa or as Erno (with Jfets)?

On regard to the sound card I have an Audiphile 192 and it sems to do the job.
I have not used Visual Analyser so far but have a copy of Arta which is OK and
True RTA not so good

I am not that good to get software to work and was in a rush to get the F5 Mule plaiing sweet music so not much I can tell about results...

Have you considered building the Distortion magnifier as in Linear Audio volume 0?

Again tanks for posting

How does the distortion magnifier article read? The subscription is a lot of money for somone constantly building amps. Probably worth it though. I think that Jfets cascoded with Bipolars is considered a nice combination. May be worth looking into.

Last edited:
Hi NYCOne

I have been following this as well and share buzzforb view so big tanks for posting.
Did you try cascode as Papa or as Erno (with Jfets)?

On regard to the sound card I have an Audiophile 192 and it seems to do the job.
I have not used Visual Analyzer so far but have a copy of Arta which is OK and
True RTA not so good

I am not that good to get software to work and was in a rush to get the F5 Mule plaiing sweet music so not much I can tell about results...

Have you considered building the Distortion magnifier as in Linear Audio volume 0?

Again tanks for posting

I did a BJT cascode (BC550, BC560) as per NP. I looked at the Erno Borbely articles, and I've built his all JFET, no feedback preamp, but I followed NP's advice and tried BJTs.

My general experience with NP is if he mentions an idea, it's often because he's done a huge amount of work in the area and knows the answer already.

buzzforb
Sorry but I can not help you much on this
I can not scan and send you a copy whitout permission.

Now If you would ask me to rob a large bank or such I may cosider it.:D
It works a bit like a notch filter the test signall is subtracted so you can see the noise magnified I think

Whi not PM to JAN ?

Tanks NYCOne hit the nail there 100%:cheers:

buzzforb
My apolologies no offence meant.
And nothing wrong with asking for freebie
Still sorry I cannot help you much on this either I have not built the distortion magnifier.
From the article it does make a lot of sense.
Maybe a fellow’s member who’s had the thing running would step in and comment.
All I can say is that the F5 as I have now is really good well worth any investment in trying to improve even more.
Law of diminishing return not withstanding

Balanced - Cascoded F5. A status report.

We're heading up on four months since I finished the Balanced - Cascoded F5. I thought I'd let folks know how the amp has been performing.

In a nutshell, I couldn't be happier. She has been a rock. No issues with offset drift or bias drift. I think she plays a little more nicely when warmed up (what woman doesn't?). I'm considering adding thermal compensation for fun, but it’s not really needed.

I run the amp without a preamp at the moment. The sound is very clean from top to bottom. I'm just putting the finishing touches on my cascoded standard F5 (running, but needs a case) and my J2 clone (running but I'm not happy with the bias) for a little head to head competition.

Finally, running without a preamp has gotten tiresome, I'm putting finishing touches on my home etched Borbely all JFET, no feedback preamp, and of course my UGS preamp.

Again, I urge folks to build this amp. It can be done for a modest price. If you have heat-sinks or a case around, the bulk of the cost is behind you.

NYCOne,
I am wanting to use the 2SK2013/2SJ313 on this amp because of Juma's comments. I will build a standard F5 first, then try your version, to compare. I will compare them to mu AJ monos.

I'm finishing up my amps and preamps, then I'm concentrating on speakers. I fininshed my first set of active XOs. I made some mods and I'll etch a new set in the coming weeks. I just landed my first compression driver and horn set up. I have a sub ready to go. I think I'm pretty well covered on the amp side with the CXF5, CF5, and J2. Preamp - Borbely EB 2000-402, and UGS Pass. All good!

I'm finishing up my amps and preamps, then I'm concentrating on speakers. I fininshed my first set of active XOs. I made some mods and I'll etch a new set in the coming weeks. I just landed my first compression driver and horn set up. I have a sub ready to go. I think I'm pretty well covered on the amp side with the CXF5, CF5, and J2. Preamp - Borbely EB 2000-402, and UGS Pass. All good!

Sounds like quite a lineup. I have an Alpair A7 on the way and plan to mate it to a woofer in both a box enclosure as well as OB. the 10.2 I have now is awesome and supposedly the 7 is better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.