Building a Stereo PCB

This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Dual mono means two completely separate amps, each having its own power supply. If you have two chips running off of the same power supply that is a stereo amp.

You could use 2 larger or 4 smaller caps. What you need to take into consideration is how much room they would take up, how much they would cost, what brand you want to buy, etc. and how that fits into your design criteria.

You are asking a very general question, so you will get different answers depending on who you ask.
Speaking of different answers. . . ;)

I understand the question as if there are two mono chipamps on one board, and that the power supply is also on that same board.

If so, then the usual approach is a pair of 4700uF, along with 2 pair of 220uF, and 2 pair of 100nF. This would be a bare minimum (its also a guess). Its possible to do many other varieties. Just know that the smoothing task will get done first, before there are reserves (left over) available for the amplifier to use during transients. However, too much can make an amplifier get hot or possibly an audio artifact. That makes a question of how much.

It might be possible to get close or find an example if given the amplifier, voltage, and its application. Otherwise. . .

I can only think of one way to answer this question. Experimenter's board is like phenolic board (veroboard), except that all of the holes have circular pads (dots). You can create the proposed design (connect the dots), and have the whole thing done rather quickly. It answers the questions about components in applied application, so then when the PCB's are designed, it will be a design that already works nicely.
You'll know for sure if it works. . . when it does.

There's a caveat. I think its necessary to specify and use a particular (specific) voltage for optimal results. Otherwise you might need (want) to design the power supply(s) as a seperate board(s) per voltage range. Even then, you still need to (should) specify the cable gauge and length between amplifier and power supply.

EDIT: That goes along with the concept of using "widely available" components, so you might want to check out what's available so that when PCBs are made then the results can be duplicable. My personal preference on the power caps would be Mallory (Cornell) and Nichicon because of the quality vs price and because of their widespread availability.
I think that the more specific you can get on the prototype, then the better the PCBs will work. Have fun!!
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.