Building a LINN LP12 turntable clone from (almost) 3rd party upgrades

It has been widely recognized that the Linn was a sterile (almost CD) sounding T/T.

Mmmm - that's the first time I have ever read that (since buying an LP12 in about 1979).

The 'widely recognised' comments about LP12s that I know of are:
1. they have a bass hump - which tends to make them 'warm' (reduced by the Cirkus bearing).
2. and they lack the resolution which other TTs have - which was fixed when Linn brought out the 'Keel'.

Andy

It has been widely recognized that the Linn was a sterile (almost CD) sounding T/T.

I'm with AndyR on this one.

This is the first time ever, that I have read the Linn Sondek LP12 described as "sterile".

As a long-term owner, I can attest to the fact that the LP12 may have some character and colorations of its own - as AndyR notes - particularly in the earlier models. But never sterility or CD-like qualities.

To a varying extent, I think it is also widely recognized that many LP12 owners genuinely appreciate the known Linn colorations, as they tend to beautify all music, making poor recordings palatable and compensating for the smaller, bass-shy (stand-mount) loudspeakers that many audiophiles use.

I believe it is these colorations that have many former LP12 junkies re-purchasing yet another LP12, craving another hit.

For better of worse - love it or hate it - the later LP12 models and upgrades have done much to ameliorate these known Linn colorations and create a more neutral sonic signature. Still not sterile, by any stretch.

I appreciate and respect your own experiences and opinions on this DNic, but I simply can't agree with you. It leaves me wondering what went wrong with your own LP12.

Last edited:
I have heard from some friends, that Linn's LP12 itself is a clone from Thorens' TD150.
According the images under
Building the AAP12, Thorens TD-150 Modification Part Three - Audio Appraisal
Td150 Disassembly- Vinyl Engine
could that be true (I am amazed at the great similarity).
Also regarding the years of release - Thorens TD150 presented resp. introduced 1965
Thorens TD 150 | Hifi-Wiki
Thorens - Wikipedia
Linn's LP12 presented resp. introduced 1972
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linn_Sondek_LP12

Last edited:
A thought - maybe he filled the underside of the pressed-metal subchassis with damping material?

Andy

Unlikely, I think. I know, because we have stayed with our highly-damped, pressed-steel LP12 sub-chassis.

It is still loaded with judiciously placed Blu-tac, because it made the world of sonic difference - for the better.

But our LP12 has never sounded sterile, lifeless or CD-like.

[Next post, I will try to use less hyphens... :D ]

Last edited:
I have heard from some friends, that Linn's LP12 itself is a clone from Thorens' TD150.
According the images under
Building the AAP12, Thorens TD-150 Modification Part Three - Audio Appraisal
Td150 Disassembly- Vinyl Engine
could that be true (I am amazed at the great similarity).
Also regarding the years of release - Thorens TD150 presented resp. introduced 1965
Thorens TD 150 | Hifi-Wiki
Thorens - Wikipedia
Linn's LP12 presented resp. introduced 1972
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linn_Sondek_LP12

AIUI, the Ariston was a copy of the Thorens ... and the LP12 was a re-badged Ariston. :D

Andy

I hope you will enjoy this little Adventure with me :D
Link to the fotostory
Of course there will be comprehensive listening tests between the "old" LP12 and the clone in due time, as well W&F, rumble and room-feedback measurements with my Audio Precision audio analyzer.
stay tuned please

DDDAC,

I certainly have enjoyed sharing your little adventure - viewing it again and again.

Great photographs! Stage-by-stage insight, with a ton of effort.

Truly appreciated.

I am with you on making your own tone-arm cable from the DIN connector. Because there are probably thousands of LINN Ittok owners who would like to discard the old Linn "rope" tonearm cable - without having to spend GBP500 - this aspect would be a great feature to be fleshed-out in more detail.

One question. Why did you NOT extend the new tonearm wiring from the DIN plug to terminate at the Phono Amplifier with a couple of nice RCA's? It appears the you severed and jointed this new wire very early on. Was there a reason for this? What have I missed?
:confused:

Oh wow ! Brings back memories....

I was the Linn set-up Tech way back when...1970-80s at our small retail outlet in small town New Zealand.

I recall a tutorial by Charlie Brennan from Linn in Auckland....perhaps '85 ?... where we all spent more time sampling brews than adjusting tables...:D