Building a BIB for a tricky room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Doing the (late at night) math it seemed that a slot port the full width of the cabinet was the best way to shorten the overall cabinet height while still retaining the desired distance between driver and port centers. It looked like a 4" diameter circular vent, even if moved to the bottom front edge of the cabinet wouldn't be far enough away (not to mention the other boundary issues noted by GM). Math will tell, however.

Hmm, we want the vent at an odd harmonic, so at the very bottom is one and while moving the vent closer does change the response, placing a tube at L*0.848 will be inaudible except possibly if there's no damping in the cab.

Heck, even if the vent is next to the driver like the pioneers concluded was the best compromise regardless of cab configuration until RCA introduced its tower bass reflex [aka MLTL] circa 1950 as a viable alternative, once damped the dip isn't noticeable, just its corresponding mid-bass peak, so one can argue that this location is best for 'foot tapping' Altec/JBL 'west coast sound' type alignment.

In short, by far the most critical dimensions in TL assisted alignments is total length, driver offset.

GM

Let me make sure I understand, are you saying that with l*848 port placement Mltl physics will not be in play and it will just expect bass reflex style bass reinforcement? If that is so, why? is that not an odd harmonic? Thanks for helping me understand this. While I can’t wait to start building the speaker, I am even more excited about finally getting a grasp on the theory!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.