build an active Classix II flat pack kit!

I wanted to share this project with everyone as it's a simple and great sounding combo. This started as a desire for a pair of active speakers for an outdoor covered patio and pool area where a flat screen tv is already mounted. My original thought was to design a project from scratch, but once I found myself headed towards the now third summer of saying I should have a pair of speakers outside I decided to press the easy button and get things moving along! Things I desired: self powered, Bluetooth capability, remote control, external input so I could connect the television, full range sound in a package light and small enough to wall mount and a subwoofer output might be nice too.

My all in one solution was to combine the flat pack Classix II speaker kit from Parts Express with the Dayton WF60PA digital plate amplifier also from PE. This digital amp is capable of (x2) channels of 30W at 4 ohm with a remote control for input select and volume while also providing a line level sub output. For connectivity it accepts Bluetooth, wifi, a Toslink input, a pair or RCA inputs and a 3.5mm jack. For my use I stream audio via a phone using Bluetooth and the tv is connected via Toslink.

The Classix II speaker has no right to sound anywhere near as good as it does for this price; it's a true gem with surprisingly low bass abilities and the WF60PA drives them plenty loud! These Classix II speakers are built exactly to the instructions using nothing but components included in the flat pack kit. Only additions are the cutting of a rectangular hole in the back of one cab to mount the plate amp and an additional hole in front for the remote sensor assembly.

Flat pack cabinet glued up and brad holes filled. Fit of the parts was excellent.
20230228_142959.jpg

Rear of the active cab getting ready to receive the opening for mounting of the plate amp.
20230219_165606.jpg

Backside of plate amp. The ribbon cable extending out to the left of the frame allows remote mounting of the remote sensor and LED status assembly. Red and black wires will connect internally to the crossover board.
20230219_165616.jpg

Backside of cabs showing active and passive units. Plate amp connects to its crossover inside the cabinet with the external binding posts allowing connection of the passive cab to the amp. Remote sensor assembly temporarily hanging out of port for testing.
20230220_180800.jpg

Passive cab has crossover board mounted to back wall.
20230228_143014.jpg

Active cab has plate amp in back wall, crossover board on floor and hole for remote sensor assembly under the woofer.
20230228_143156.jpg

Closeup of remote sensor and LED status indicators. I used a step drill for this hole and hot glued the sensor assembly into a recess I made in the back of the baffle. The plate amp provides a tinted plastic disc trim that will flush mount to the baffle.
20230228_143215.jpg

Exohyde textured paint applied and trim fitted over sensor port.
20230301_153550.jpg

Active speaker with LED showing power on status. I added handles to the top for carrying.
20230301_160501.jpg

Rubber bumper feet on bottom of cabs.
20230301_160540.jpg

Rear of active cab showing kit provided flared port installed. Antennas only need be in place if wifi connectivity is to be used.
20230301_160604.jpg

Speaker sits atop plywood mounts on side of home underneath covered patio. Remote is stored next to it.
20230721_123916.jpg

Reactions: 1 user