• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo IIIse help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I bought a readybuild Buffalo IIIse dac and just don´t get any sound out of it. It consist of:

(1) Buffalo-IIIsePro32 (ES9038) 2-Channel DAC Module
(1) AVCC-SR Dual 3.6V Series Regulator Module
(2) TridentSR 3.3V Series Regulator Module
(1) TridentSR 1.3V Series Regulator Module
[1] Mercury v1.1 Kit plus [1] Placid HD BP Power Supply Kit
[2] LCDPS
[1]4:1 Mux/Demux Digital Switch Kit
[1] 4-Position Selector Switch Kit that Connects to the 4:1 Mux/Demux
[3] Transformers

extras
[1] Raspberry Pi Model 3 [1]Touch Screen

I have tried both the SPDIF and Raspberry Pi whithout luck. One LCDPS Powers the RPi + touchscreen an one Powers the dac, both 5.2V. The LCDPS have a hard time in driving the touchscreen, I have to use a separate Power for that.

I would very much appreciate some guidance in troubleshooting. For example if there is a voltage drop to the dac.
TIA

Attachments

• 20200105_135558 (1).jpg
    20200105_135558 (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 338
The first thing I would do is fix the transformer wiring for the LCDPS modules.

It appears you are using only one side of each (meaning you could actually achieve the same thing with just one LCDPS), but you are powering both sides of the supplies. If you parallel the transformer secondaries into the one active side of each supply, it will make the current output more robust. That said, each is limited to about 1.5A, which is very little for an RPi, even without a display. It is also close to the minimum for a 9038 with Trident SR regulators.

Replacing both LCDPS with Centaurs would solve that problem.

Do you get a lock light at all? Mute light?

It's hard to follow the wiring in your picture, but it looks like the volume control wires (Yellow/White) go over toward the MUX module and stop. Are they connected to a pot? If these are just terminated, it would result in no sound.

A few more detailed shots would be helpful, especially around the DAC signal inputs. If looks like MUX output (Green/White) also just stops, but it may be routed under the boards.

I have rewired the transformers secondary wires for more stable current. Still no sound though. Only the mute light blinks, not the lock light. I post some additional Pictures if the wiring are wrong. Or else maybe a Centaur is needed.

Attachments

• Buffaloiiise.jpg
    Buffaloiiise.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 335
  • buffaloiiise1.jpg
    buffaloiiise1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 279
  • buffaloiiise2.jpg
    buffaloiiise2.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 273
  • buffaloiiise3.jpg
    buffaloiiise3.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 280
I have rewired the transformers secondary wires for more stable current. Still no sound though. Only the mute light blinks, not the lock light. I post some additional Pictures if the wiring are wrong. Or else maybe a Centaur is needed.

Was this supposed to be a working unit when you bought it?

Can you check the output voltage of each of the Tridents (mainly the 1.3V and AVCC modules)? Be careful to not cause a short.

If those look good (1.3v and ~3.6V), I think it would make sense to reduce the complexity under test. Try connecting an S/PDIF input connector direct to the DAC's S/PDIF pins, and disconnect the I2S lines. You can even lift the DAC off the Mercury to see if you get a lock light.

Ok, after a lot of other Projects I tried to get this work again. I measured each trident, AVCC 3.57, trident 3.28, 3.28 and 1.30. When I first measured the numbers drifted from plus to minus but maybe it was me being unsteady with the lead.

I simplified Connection by connecting the SPDIF directly to the dac and the output directly as well. But still no sound. I lifted the dac from the Mercury and I got a blink from the mute light, not the lock light.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I didn't see this earlier. Could the problem be that the DAC connection to the I/V board is out-of-register? (i.e. incomplete and wrong polarity?) The standoffs and board mounting holes should align perfectly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.00.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.00.38 AM.png
    333.1 KB · Views: 112
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.