• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: FFT

okapi said:

i am quite amazed that you can achieve -165 to -170dB with your test set-up. What sound card are you using and what are the settings (how many bits and sampling frequency).

would you mind posting the response of your testing hardware on its own with the same 20khz stimulus (jump the output to the input)?

thanks

I can't measure anything close to that. That is the simulation plot. :)

I have just tried the 10nF caps on the IVY front end and report that the only two tracks I have in my collection I felt "had something wrong" are now just fine.
Steely Dans - Cousin Dupree the snare attack seemed a little too sharp and the Prof. Johnson digital master recording Serendipity track Trio Blues that has superb piano sound, the high note attack, again, is now more natural.
The whole system, I just love.
CDPRO2 into the Metronome to reclock into the Buffalo into IVY into TVC into Atmasphere OTL into Batanis Atlas.
The Ivy is perfect for this as I need SE to drive the bass amps and balanced to drive the Atma's.
On a couple of CD's I enjoy, I can dump the vol controls - as the gain structure is just right,and run direct into the balanced amps - even better.
So now you buggers come up with another stage for me to try, the Counterpoint.
I will need two of these to run ballanced, and really want to ditch the TVC and go digital.
Would it be best to simply parallel up the inputs to the Counterpoints and existing IVY. Use the SE out from the IVY to drive the bass and the Ballanced out fron the two Counterpoints to drive the tops.
Any other ( better) connection scenarios, and can i get the bits i need now??

Should that not be twistedpearaudio.com?

Russ/Brian. I am intrigued by the counterpoint. I would want to use it SE, but if I leave it on all the time, then the turn on/off thump wouldn't really matter would it? That mod adding the caps really opened my eyes to the output options on this DAC. Would my single LCBPS drive it?

Fran

... Russ/Brian. I am intrigued by the counterpoint. I would want to use it SE, but if I leave it on all the time, then the turn on/off thump wouldn't really matter would it? Would my single LCBPS drive it?

I guess I have the same question as Fran, (are we following parallel lines here Fran?) Although I would also like to question whether the Counterpoint can 'happily' drive my amps (Welborne Terraplanes 300B's) directly via either the iTunes digital volume control or one of your up-and-coming digital controls. Also as I know nothing about digital volume controls, is the iTunes one any good? What should I be looking for in a digital control?

I think I may even spring for some Placid PS's (when available) for this if the single ended thump can be resolved, although Frans' idea of just leaving it on is perhaps the easiest and best solution ;-)

All looks very good to me Russ and Brian, keep them coming...

Russ

Placid Shunt-regulated Supply in testing...

Attachments

• placid_testing.jpg
    placid_testing.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 658
Hi all,

Hope you guys can help me with two basic questions:

- What load can I expect on the PSU-boards in the Buffalo configuration as in the attached image, and what size fuse (slow blow?) should I use for each on the primary side? Perhaps this info is already out there somewhere, if so, I have not found it.

- The lower setup in the image shows a simple test rig loading the PSU-boards with power resistors. I take it this is a simple and reasonable way to test the PSU-boards before hooking them up to the real consumer boards. Rx in the 100 ohms/5W range? The idea is to simply measure the output voltage and trim each LCxPS board using the variable pots on board to:

LCDPS VA 6.6V
LCDPS VD 6.0V
LCBPS 12.0V

Regards,
Dex

The mains fuses can be very small - the transformers are only 20VA, and the circuits load them very lightly; none draws more than a couple of watts. As you are based in the 230V part of the world, the current in the primary will be much less than 0.1A.

I would probably use a 0.25A fuse; although lower values exist, they are not so easy to source, and I have heard accusations that they are not very reliable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.