• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Jon

I don't mind sending you a board if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks. I'll need get some press and peel printed to etch a few more. If you could paypal a few bucks towards postage that would be great. PM if your'e interested.

If Russ is reading this - Is it possible to use more of these CCS boards on the Buffalo 1.2, a bit like cheap Tridents?

Think I'll do that, Rich...

I'd think you couldn't use the basic CCS board for other supplies, assuming you mean to replace the regulators for Digital and Analog 3.3v, or as a clock supply. Reason being, they will draw a moderate amount of current, and the basic LED regulator can't supply very much. The VREF input needs very little current.

Now, you could put some kind of high current pass transistor and stuff in there, like how Russ expanded it to a full regulator. Then you could supply a lot more current and use it more places.

I am sure the LP5900 would work well. We looked at it, but decided against for practical reasons.

The LED VREF to the AVCC opamp is just that. A voltage reference. Nothing more. So its kind of an apples/oranges thing. The actual regulator would be the opamp.

I prefer shunt regulators for AVCC, so I have not really had any motivation to try the LP5900 and I have moved away from the idea of using an opamp there, though in practice it worked quite well.

So your going to have to just give it a go and see for yourself. :)

Cheers!
Russ

One tweak that would work out very well if you are able to do it would be to remove the AVCC opamp (IC3) and install a 3.3V Trident for AVCC. You may need to adjust the current on the Trident(simply reduce the resistor value slightly), but actually I think it will be just fine with the stock value. Just remember that the Trident has a maximum input voltage of 5.5V so adjust VA accordingly.

Absolutely you can use legato with the original Buffalo.

I think you will find it very worthwhile. It is similar to the counterpoint, but better realized.

Cheers!
Russ

Well, my Legato kit turned up yesterday and I hammered it together when the kids went to bed, swapped the wires from the installed Counterpoint boards and held my breath.

I have to say you guys do a phenomenal job with the design and kitting. The new board powered up, was totally quiet and then I pressed play!

Very different to the Counterpoint, which I've used (with Placid BP supply) for ages now and enjoyed very much. I only had chance to listen at modest levels and to only a handful of tracks, so I shouldn't comment on the sound quality. But if I had to descirbe my first impression, I would say it has a slightly understated presentation, musical, subtle and transparent.

That means more music - so thanks again:)

Mark

I am sure the LP5900 would work well. We looked at it, but decided against for practical reasons.

The LED VREF to the AVCC opamp is just that. A voltage reference. Nothing more. So its kind of an apples/oranges thing. The actual regulator would be the opamp.

I prefer shunt regulators for AVCC, so I have not really had any motivation to try the LP5900 and I have moved away from the idea of using an opamp there, though in practice it worked quite well.

So your going to have to just give it a go and see for yourself. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Actually, I was thinking of just using a LP5900 as a voltage ref, rather than the LED voltage ref. Basically wondering if it would be more or less noisy than the LED circuit. I'd leave IC3 in there. It's very low noise for a linear regulator, but I don't know if that LED circuit would still beat it.

Of course, a Trident probably would be even better, and be able to be used for full regulator replacement for the other supplies as well.

Hmmm... any scarce parts on it? I might just ask you for the bare board price, while the shortage goes on... :devilr:

Last edited:
It's very low noise for a linear regulator, but I don't know if that LED circuit would still beat it.

Ok, I see now. I imagine they would be very very close.

As for the Trident, I really have not made that circuit public yet, though I will likely do so at some point. but I do promise that the shortage will be a temporary thing. We just very much underestimated the demand.

I upgraded the clock supply with a 3.3V Flea regulator this weekend. A nice little mod, better clarity and separation in the music. Certainly an improvement.

The trace to cut is hard to see, you need to hold the board up to a light to really get an idea where it is. I have indicated the trace on the layout diagram below if anybody is keen to try.

IMG_2242.jpg

buffalo_layout_clock_mod.jpg

Rich

Got the vref mod built, tested and installed last night.

I put on Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch - and sat there gobsmacked for the whole album, a silly grin making my face ache!

Probably a combination of the tweaks to the Legato and the addition of the vref mod, but this thing sounds better than ever. Thanks for the bits a pieces, appreciated.

How mcuh better than this can the Buffalo2 be?

Nice one Mark, glad to help. I'm pleased you like it. For a relatively simple mod it really works well doesn't it? Thank's to Russ of course.

I would suggest trying the clock mod but understand that if you are selling the Buffalo when you get the new one then cutting traces here and there might affect desirability. Also the clock mod isn't technically a 'Russ White approved' mod!

I guess you will find out how much better the Buff 2 is in a few weeks. I assume it's not 'night and day' better... is it...?

Nice one Mark, glad to help. I'm pleased you like it. For a relatively simple mod it really works well doesn't it? Thank's to Russ of course.

I would suggest trying the clock mod but understand that if you are selling the Buffalo when you get the new one then cutting traces here and there might affect desirability. Also the clock mod isn't technically a 'Russ White approved' mod!

I guess you will find out how much better the Buff 2 is in a few weeks. I assume it's not 'night and day' better... is it...?

Hi Rich

I may be tempted by the clock mod but probably not until I have the Buffalo2 up and running - I've noooo intention of selling the "old" one.

My Buffalo2 is at least a month away so that's plenty of time to enjoy the recent improvements:D

Regards

Mark

Hello guys,

I just got the BII, very nice package and boards, thanks Russ! I went trough the documentation but I still have some (silly) doubts.

The SPDIF switch has "1/ON" labels. When you say "open" you mean "ON", is that correct?

There are two leds in the package. I would like to know what they stand for (even if I have some idea!) and if they can be mounted on the front panel with a piece of wire soldered to the board, in other words there is any problem taking them out of the board?

Best Wishes
Pietro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.