Budget friendly FR drivers UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was going to recommend that you go with something smaller rather than bigger, something 3-4". These inherently have better midrange and treble responses than larger drivers, especially in the off axis.

XRK has done a number of subjective online comparisons along with measurements.

There are a few drivers that stand out amongst the usual crowd that you could try although availability might be an issue.

Ones to consider would be.

Vifa/Peerless TC9FD18-08
Vifa/Peerless TG9FD10-04
SB Acoustics SB65WBAC
Visaton B80
Fountek FR88EX
Dayton RS100
Dayton RS100P
Fatal Pro 3FE22r16

None of those are particularly expensive and I think availability will have more to do with what choice you perhaps make. There are a number of EU based suppliers that have a number of them though so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something.

As Chris says a baffle step filter is likely to be required, but if this are going to be placed on a desk that does relax the requirements a little. Also if you're using a computer for the source you can always add in a lil bit of EQ to compensate for the baffle step loss.

To this list I would add:

Dayton PS95-8
Peerless P830986 or PS830983

Regarding equalising and measuring . Most computer audio players including iTunes have a 10 band equaliser . I used an iPad app to measure the sound FFT Plot, this a cheap and cheerful and a good place to start.
Taking things a step further there is a windows software such as Equaliser APO which gives parametric equalisation and can be used with room wiz and an external mic which I am guessing would would give exacting results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.