Budget DACs for digital crossover output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is quite an old thread now. Since then I settled on a setup that works well for me; the dac is an ASUS Xonar U7 which sounds much better than I'd expected, possibly the tri-amping helps. The crossover is in software, using Voicemeeter (Banana version) - which is a (donation-ware) software mixer so more suitable as a central hub for my various sources than many other alternatives I tried.

Ultimately I dropped Jriver, windows had ever ongoing compatibility issues with it, and instead have been using foobar2000 as a free player for flacs. So quite a cheap system, including the modest donation suggested for Voicemeeter, but I'm very pleased with the sound quality and ergonomics.

Plex - multi platform, very competent, becoming integrated with more and more OEM hardware like TVs, NAS and such...

I tried Plex briefly and it seemed excellent, just not the flac player I was looking for. It puts much of its energies into extensive streaming, organising, sharing and video/TV capabilities, but none of that complexity is wanted. However, I didn't spend long with it so will perhaps give it another go at some point.

Last edited:
Just wanted to chime in on this topic. I have had good results with the Xonar U7 as a multi-channel USB DAC. I've combined that with Windows (8.1 or 10) with Equalizer APO for system wide DSP. Very extensive in term of crossovers, PEQs, etcs. Pretty to setup once you get the hang out it. Definitely very capable to utilize for active speaker implementation.

I was also interested in the DIYHNK kit and was wondering if it'd give any better results than the U7 is. Does anyone know if theDIYHNK kit is asynchronous? Anyways, I believe you can get a U7 on Amazon for $70 sometimes. Very inexpensive for a complete solution (even has volume control?)

Another pricier solution is the miniDSP DAC8 (https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dac8). It's aynchronous so maybe thats why it has a higher price tag comparing to the DIYHNK kit.

Further looking at the spec I think the DIYHNK USB --> i2s kit does have asynchronous USB:
1) Newest XMOS chip and uses 48MHz oscillator to asynchronous reclock usb audio data to I2S line, old XMOS uses only 13Mhz oscillator, over 4x better jitter rejection theoretically.

Last edited:
NanoDIGI has an 8 out I2S header on the board if you open it up.
Where? I'd like to tap I2S of my nanoDIGI. I read a response from devteam at miniDSP that this would be a no-go on nanoDIGI because the pin pitch is too tight to reliably do it.

If I can access I2S on my nanoDIGI that would be great news! I've been considering getting miniSHARC for the sole reason of being able to access I2S

If you know how, please share photos and how-to advice.

Thanks

Just wanted to chime in on this topic. I have had good results with the Xonar U7 as a multi-channel USB DAC. I've combined that with Windows (8.1 or 10) with Equalizer APO for system wide DSP. Very extensive in term of crossovers, PEQs, etcs. Pretty to setup once you get the hang out it. Definitely very capable to utilize for active speaker implementation.

I was also interested in the DIYHNK kit and was wondering if it'd give any better results than the U7 is. Does anyone know if theDIYHNK kit is asynchronous? Anyways, I believe you can get a U7 on Amazon for $70 sometimes. Very inexpensive for a complete solution (even has volume control?)

Another pricier solution is the miniDSP DAC8 (https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dac8). It's aynchronous so maybe thats why it has a higher price tag comparing to the DIYHNK kit.

Further looking at the spec I think the DIYHNK USB --> i2s kit does have asynchronous USB:
1) Newest XMOS chip and uses 48MHz oscillator to asynchronous reclock usb audio data to I2S line, old XMOS uses only 13Mhz oscillator, over 4x better jitter rejection theoretically.

I can confirm that the Asus Xonar U7 works under Linux (Raspbian and Ubuntu 16.04). I did some measurements and the noise floor was not as low as I would have liked to see: -81dB. 1kHz THD was actually less than the noise level, at -84dB. The maximum output level is about 1Vrms.

The miniDSP U-DAC8 would have higher output level capability at around 2Vrms. The difference between 1Vrms and 2Vrms might mean that you amplifier can't (at 1Vrms) and can (at 2Vrms) be driven to and past full power output. It's a real pain when your 100WPC amp can only deliver 50W because that is as high a level that your DAC can drive it to. I have experienced this first hand with a pair of Adcom amps that I own, and a new consumer multichannel power amp that I just purchased required 1.3Vrms input to reach full power.

Another option that I have recently explored that would provide high(er) max output voltage is a pro audio audio interface. There are a few that will work under Linux (at least you can use the inputs and outputs, but likely not other features like internal mixing/routing, etc.). I bought and tested a Behringer FCA610 and this gives me two digital (SPDIF) and four analog inputs (two on front combined with mix preamp inputs and two line-level-only inputs on back) and 10 outputs (eight TRS balanced analog outs and an SPDIF output (coax and Toslink). Works up to 96kHz at 24bits. On a Raspberry Pi I can input 4 channels and output 8 channels at 96kHz and everything works great using the USB 2.0 interface. The FCA610's max output level is 1.94Vrms. The only annoying issue that I have discovered is that when you start running it (the I/O) there is often a pretty good "pop" sound. I read on the web this has to do with the unit setting the sample rate or making changes to it, but I can work around this (e.g. turn amps on only after starting up the FCA610). I have not yet measured the performance, but have seen loopback measurements done by othersthat look pretty good and indicate a lower noise floor (-102dB). For $200 and free shipping it's $75+shipping-cost cheaper than the miniDSP and does the same or more.

Also of note is the Audio Injector Octo multichannel sound card (a HAT) for the Raspberry Pi. This HAT will soon be available and features 6-in, 8-out in either RCA unbalanced or TRS balanced connectors. I hope to test one of these when I can get my hands on one.

It is also possible to use multiple USB stereo DACs running in USB adaptive mode. There are lots of low cost (e.g. <$50) boards/units on Ebay if you know what to look for.

Finally, the DIYinHK combination of XMOS USB interface board and the 8-channel ES9016 DAC looks promising but you need to do some board assembly, as well as add a case and 3.3V 800mA external power supply. It has no inputs or SPDIF I/O and the cost is $160+shipping. The total may work out to be only $20 less than the FCA610. The DIYinHK kit certainly might have superior noise and THD performance but I have not seen any measurement info on it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.