Budget audiophile speaker cables

Recently I scored for free the most of a 100m reel of RG-59 75 ohm coax....bare copper single center strand and 84% bare copper braiding, solid polyethylene dielectric, black PVC sheath. Bugger all copper actually, center strand is 23 AWG/0.6mm/0.29 mm2 with conductor resistance 62 ohms/km, ie 0.062 ohms/m, and capacitance of 67pF/m. The braid/shield contains much more copper than the conductor, so a reasonable estimate of loop resistance might be in the region of 0.080 ohms/m. So, 5m cable lengths might be as much as 0.4 ohms loop resistance, and with a defined HF/RF impedance characteristic.

I am using this cable also as source/PA interconnect and as sub interconnect. I find that this cable works very well indeed, in terms of mechanical flexibility/practicality and subjective clarity and enjoyment.

There are conditions/caveats to using this coax as speaker cable and there are other interesting observations gained also. This is not a costly experiment, and IMO very worth while.

Dan.

View attachment Garland CC59.pdf

Last edited:
Give it a try, who knows it might be synergistic with your set up.
For me I found my match with Duelund 16 awg wires & lets forget about wire gauge cause Im using just a single run for my ML Odyssey speakers double runs did not sounded better so I ended up using the extra to change the internal speaker wire which again brought more coherence.

Yes Nigel thats what theory says. If your like me mucking around with cables, caps, resistors, ps etc, your views will be different. Not saying that I agree to spending crazy money, more towards trial & experimentation with an open mind.

Cheers

Who says that after experimentation one cant come to Nigels conclusion?
I just read a nice article by Troels Gravesen where he compares crossover components and in the end admits he cant find a solid reproduceable difference between normal components and extreme supercaps and coils on steroids..

A piece of wire of different types does affect the sound but of course it’s up to the individual to test. Yep I for one wouldn't be caught up spenidng silly money for speaker cables but having said that I have found great sound to be had just spending $120 or so on Dulund 16awg cables. To me its money well spent.
What's the length of those cables? Here's what else you can get, though it hasn't been blessed by an AudioGuru:

Amazon.com: Dripstone Low Voltage 12AWG 2Core Outdoor Light Parallel Flat-Twin Bare COPPER Wire Landscape Lighting Cable 12/2 (250ft): Home Audio & Theater

Unless you really need it, you might not want 125 feet per side. Just cut the cable to comfortably reach to your further speaker, then cut the other to the same length.

Last edited:
sumotan said:
Yes Nigel thats what theory says. If your like me mucking around with cables, caps, resistors, ps etc, your views will be different. Not saying that I agree to spending crazy money, more towards trial & experimentation with an open mind.
If the theory is wrong then lots of modern technology would stop working, and you might get a Nobel Prize. I guess you don't regard "$120" for something which should cost less than $12 "crazy money".

Max Headroom said:
I am using this cable also as source/PA interconnect and as sub interconnect. I find that this cable works very well indeed, in terms of mechanical flexibility/practicality and subjective clarity and enjoyment.
As coax happens to be the right cable (according to theory) for an unbalanced interconnect it is hardly surprising that it gives "clarity and enjoyment".

There are conditions/caveats to using this coax as speaker cable and there are other interesting observations gained also. This is not a costly experiment, and IMO very worth while.
The main caveat is that it has too high resistance.

The main caveat is that it has too high resistance.
And of course it depends on length. For a couple of feet (the speaker is next to a monoblock or for wiring inside the cabinet) this sort of cable would be fine.

Of course, various "experiments" can indeed have interesting results: "Oh, I discovered a longer length of this cable enhances the bass!" Yes, of course, the lower damping factor lets the woofer and/or cabinet resonance give more output at resonance. It's amazing what one can learn with science and engineering.

It's even more amazing how many people (especially "audiophile" people) treat this sort of thing as a black box with the inside unknowable, and refuse to learn the basics of electrical circuits that would not only explain things in retrospect, but actually predict things.

You just read ya Pygmy don’t, pls try it yourself for first hand experience

I have compared standard 2.5mm2 copper cable vs expensive vandenhul speaker cable, I've compared standard aircoils and Audiocaps vs expensive ones.
I have been so lucky to never be convinced of any difference in audio quality to my old ears.

So again, why won't you believe someone *can* have tinkered with stuff like that and come to Nigel's conclusion?

Even if you disregard my experience (who the **** am I) at least Troels Gravesen's opinion might be worth a few seconds of consideration, right?
An interesting read on where he compared different components and had a hard time spotting differences :
SEAS-W11CY001

Last edited: