Bryston 4B ST problem.....?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone
I've been really impressed with the collective knowledge on these forums, so when this amp started having issues I immediately thought to inquire of you all!

I have a Bryston 4B ST amp that I got from a guy who got it from his uncle who was the original purchaser. I have no bill-of-sale, no date of sale or any other information that Bryston wants to service it under their 20-year guarantee.

the problem;

Prior to acquiring this amp, channel one "went out". Thats why I got it for so cheap (traded a technics turntable for it). I noticed that the fuse on that channel had blown. Thinking I just scored the deal of a lifetime, I threw a new fuse into it, plugged it in and turned it on. Immediately the fuse blew again.

My question;

What could be causing this? I intend to perhaps flip the power supply to the other side and see if channel 1 works to eliminate a bad power supply, but without being very tech-savy thats about the best I'll be able to do. are there any "give-aways" as to what would cause something like this to happen? Anything I should be looking for?

The boards all look good, no burns, melts, goos, anything like that, evertyhing is grounded etc.

Any suggestions, help, input etc appreciated and welcomed.

Why all this trouble? just send it to bryston and you will get it like it just came out of factory. They will do a "FULL" check-up not just a simple fix. Bryston has the best warranty and they will make sure you get what you paid for (no matter if it was sold to you by original owner or not).

"I have no bill-of-sale, no date of sale or any other information that Bryston wants to service it under their 20-year guarantee. "

Trust me!!! if it is under the 20 years warranty....They will fix it for free no matter what! and if it is more than 20 years you will not overpay for the fix. at the end you will end up with a unit not just fixed but up to specification. I am a member of Bryston forum there.Become a member there and ask all your questions and James tanner will answer all your questions for sure. Bryston Limited

PS: older units do not need the bill of sale to be repaired ! just ask James Tanner there.

The last Bryston I fixed, it was cheaper for me to fix it myself than pay the freight and risk shipping damage. I also threw some mods in it while I had it open. Your mileage may vary.

I would do the same "ONLY" if I had the knowledge and the right equipments to fix and leave them to the right specifications as they were meant to be.:smash:

I have build many diy amps, but I would not "mess" with my Bryston if it breaks. That is why I have their 20 years warranty. as I said before, if a Bryston amplifier breaks, they will not only fix it, but they will check the whole unit to make sure is up to specification as when it was new. They do our diy staff too for example they do all the soldering by hand,They test each electronic part before soldering and after is soldered.These amps are build by hand not by machines. They use CUSTOME MADE PARTS to meet their specifications.

Last edited:
I'm delighted with Bryston's warranty but I wasn't satisfied their service that I encounter with my 4B-ST Pro. I asked for checked the ticking/popping noise during power down by front panel power switch and my unit came back still exhibited the same noise. Bryston won't cover the shipping cost for the second trip. I just don't want to gamble again to ship my unit from west to east. I end up sold my 4B-ST Pro for cheap and done with Bryston.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.