Brilliance in simplicity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With adequate heatsinking you could probably dissipate 50W per double die exicon eg Vds of 25V and Id of 2A.
PLH which is more linear than JLH per dB of feedback, is not necessarily Nelson's greatest work in regards to Zen philosophy.
There are many other fine examples if not even better. Better technically doesn't necessarily mean more enjoyable though.
Worth putting together a shortlist of 3 amps.
Probably best to think about your speaker load, min impedance and sensitivity and decide which amp best matches that speaker load for your listening requirements.

I should do a complementary pair each with its own driver - this way i sort of don't run out of output trannys. I have a ton of mje 340s/350s, 2SD669s/SK9042s, 2SC3417/2SD2132 - what you think the best way to drive the transistor? Complementary pairs, looking for like 30 watts at 8 ohms with the 125 version of the Exicons, Do you think 40v would be able to do it?

I should do a complementary pair each with its own driver - this way i sort of don't run out of output trannys. I have a ton of mje 340s/350s, 2SD669s/SK9042s, 2SC3417/2SD2132 - what you think the best way to drive the transistor? Complementary pairs, looking for like 30 watts at 8 ohms with the 125 version of the Exicons, Do you think 40v would be able to do it?
Lateral Mosfets don't need a dedicated driver stage as long as preceeding stage is adequately biased. Keep it simple as possible.

Do you have full range drivers, or regular speakers like, 2 way, 2.5 way, or 3 way speakers?
What is the sensitivity of the speakers?

To cut to the chase.
The 2 obvious choices are (depending on speakers).
BA3 with a Lateral mosfet output stage for the average loud speakers with a fairly reactive load
F5 with lateral mosfets for speakers that are easier to drive ie any Full range driver or regular speaker with 90dB or better sensitivity.

A single ended Mu Follower circuit would be very nice provided you have the necessary heatsinks.

Lateral Mosfets don't need a dedicated driver stage as long as preceeding stage is adequately biased. Keep it simple as possible.

Do you have full range drivers, or regular speakers like, 2 way, 2.5 way, or 3 way speakers?
What is the sensitivity of the speakers?

Well I need a total of like 30 amps or so all together some will be chips to make it easy some other systems and protocols, some will be hybrid. The ones I would like an A bias on are the lcr tweeters with active crossing. 8 ohm impedance, 107 db spl, Aes power handling of 35 watts/ program of 70 watts. DC resistance of 5.5 ohms. The 5.25 in it have a combined sensitivity of like 101 and the 10s are like 102. Those amps may be biased AB and loaded differently depending on a few things. All also need some full range amps that are lfets however they are AB and I almost have a solid design for them. Was thinking mp42sa as LTP to mje340/350 or even an mje350 mirrored pair for the input as well as some vas then 669s and complement on the sink with the Exicons. I have a bunch of BC stuff also but this seems like the best way to go. Can I use a germainium transistor to act as a DC servo fot output biasing in class a? What are your thoughts on these components running 1 set of duel dyes 2 transformers one a little hotter than the other? Figure 40vdc 500vac toroid should get 30 watts out of the 125 Exicon?

To cut to the chase.
The 2 obvious choices are (depending on speakers).
BA3 with a Lateral mosfet output stage for the average loud speakers with a fairly reactive load
F5 with lateral mosfets for speakers that are easier to drive ie any Full range driver or regular speaker with 90dB or better sensitivity.

A single ended Mu Follower circuit would be very nice provided you have the necessary heatsinks.

The A bias isn't for a full range speaker - please see above for driver specs.
The tower is over 7 feet tall and the amps will be in the speaker - toroids/psu will most likely be in another area. Aavid made some custom sinks for this project and between the amp controller designed thermal mgmt will not be an issue. I can always order more of the 250w n channel output transistors but hate breaking up Mfg lots. For some reason I feel the tolerances will be closer. Can you hip me to a nice single ended MU topography I can tweek for my needs?

Buy some lsj74 jfets for ltp stage then use the bc parts as cascode.
Then build Mu Follower or Zen Mod's Bablefish J.
If you want to do Mu Follower I'll post a circuit if that helps.

Actually Linear is sending me out the to70 npn models and changing out the mpsa42s the first current mirror on the LPT - I currently have the original 2n5565s here. I figured it would give better performance and tolerances with input and output impedances. i will probably use the 42s for the rest of it. possibly adding the 92 in then BC559 and the complementary in the VAS or the MJE in the was with the other drivers in saturation to keep the Exicons open at all times. Please if you can post a schematic it would be great. I would love a 30-40watt pristine A bias for my tweeters on this active system i am working on. 35/70 power handling on them. i know some may think it is too much power for a sensitive driver but it is my build and i can always use the amp else where.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.