Bright Cap, Yes or No or Maybe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
marshall/fender bright/treble cap, whats yalls opinion out or in? and value wise like usual fender value 100pf.....or some crazy marshall like fire breather 4000pf lol and I know volume has huge impact on it....but say relatively lower volumes what would be ideal? Increasing the value to my ears, it does get really bright/shrill but it sounds a lot nastier/bigger/louder so like just some middle value maybe?

I didn't mention material either, for some reason I can't stand those ceramics..regardless of values they sound like grading glass to me lol, I tried it removed didn't like it, tried 100pf ceramic and a 220pf ceramic the 220pf I really liked how bigger it sounded but still that characteristic ceramic sound so I settled on a 250pf poly I had some tiny blue orb/glob caps I found not sure what the hell they are exactly lol but man it sounds kickass waaaay smoother no more grading glass sound in the highs, but still pretty meaty and pissed off sounding etc lol

I have an overly bright guitar too as well though Ibanez super-strat type xD basswood, so yeah its going to be on the brighter and midy side regardless but I know how a lot guys like the bright cap out totally I always wondered why, just sounds more dull and lifeless without the cap to me. I don't use a tone control on the guitar either always bypass that, just use the volume pot sounds more open to me that way, it does exaggerate the brightness though. although with the bright cap out it does appear to turn most amps into a better pedal platform for boosting it blends maybe a little better.

I love a bright cap on an early stage; then when the distortion harmonics are added it's so much more complex when starting with a lot of treble upper harmonics, and then you can turn down the treble in a late stage and MAGIC happens...the beats and complexities seem more musically related with the high treble distortion removed, yet the guitar treble is still sufficient. And across the volume it's gain you were going to just throw away otherwise. And that's all for dirty tone...for clean it's even better. No downside except when dirty you may need a very late-stage treble-cut.

So IMHO you really need a bright switch on an early stage with moderate volume setting and a clean treble-boosted very dynamic output without volume compresison there. Then you need a few stages generating distortion and compression. Then a post-distortion treble-cut tone control (sometimes even in the output neg feedback or speaker selection).

Just one man's opinion, and one you may have heard from me before LOL.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.