BrianGT power transformer requirements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well the two purple wires have a resistance of about 5 ohms. There is also a single brown wire that between it and the purple wires, it has a resistance of 14 ohms.

Then there are two grey wires that have the same resistance, and there is a blue wire that is tied to it somehow that has a resistance of 14 ohms as well.

These above 6 are the larger gauge wire.

Finally there are three smaller gauge wires (red, black, and peach) these are all connected to each other with about 5 ohms across any of the two wires.

So I'm to assume that the purple and grey wires are my secondaries?

The red, black, and peach wires are the primaries? But why is there 3 of them, don't I need only two?

Whats the brown and blue wires for?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
TOROIDS

I have had a few calls on wiring these puppy's and will try
to get my webguy to post some information Sunday Night,
I will need to get the information from a customer and
forward it to my webguy for posting. I've been told these might
be center tapped. These came out of Cerwin-Vega/KRK Audio
and am not sure what amps they came out of. I will try and
help those of you who have asked and for the other's there
should be more information on these posted soon..........
Steve @ Apex Jr
www.apexjr.com

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wiring information

2 X 25V toroid....
120V input tie the 2 grey's and brown along with
the 2 Violets and the blue for input
Output: Black being the center tap and voltage each
side with the Red and Orange wire.................

2 X 28.4V Toroid
120V input tie the 2 Blacks and Brown together along with
the 2 Whites and Blue for inpput
Output: Black being the center tap and voltage each side
with the Red and Yellow wire........................

42Vct
120V input tie the 2 Whites and Blue together and the
2 Blacks and the brown
Output again Black being the center tap and voltage on the
other 2 wires................

Steve @ Apex Jr.

mitch808 said:
Thanks Steve,
So how do I wire this into my GC amp? I still don't quite understand a center tapped transformer.

Mitch,
I just did two power supplies for GC with center tapped transformers. Here is what worked for me-

There are three secondary leads on a CT transformer. I call them AC1, CT and AC2. If you are using Brian's power supply boards then connect AC1 from transformer to AC1H on the board. Connect CT from transformer to AC1N and AC2H on the board. Connect AC2 from transformer to AC2N on the board.

That is how I did my original PS. I just did another one with AC1 going to AC1N, CT to AC1H and AC2N and AC2 connected to AC2H and it also worked just fine.

If you are not using Brian's boards the basics are the same. The PS I just did used 2 full wave bridges rather than eight diodes. I ran AC1 to an AC post on the bridge and CT to the other, on the other bridge I ran AC2 to one of the AC posts and CT to the other. Just decide which bridge will supply V+/PG+ and which will be V-/PG- and remember to use the "-" lead from that bridge to the V- connection on your amp, and the "+" lead from that bridge to the PG- connection on your amp.

I am not an expert on either power supplies or gainclones, I just know that the above work because I actually built them and put them into use with a GC.

HTH,

I ended up buying the uncompleted kit from Mitch808.

Got the center tapped tranny connected with the help of Sherman and Steve's posts, thanks!

I have 38.7 volts from the psu board, so it looks like I'm OK.

It'll get me up and running for now. Later I'll swap it out for a 330va. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.