Breaking-in a subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the purpose of breaking in a subwoofer driver? How does the subwoofer sound before it has been fully broken-in? What can I expect from my sub after fully breaking it in?

I have been running my BPD1001 in free air just to see the excursion. I have not driven it with enough power to really produce any considerable bass, but it causes my subwoofer amplifier to heat up at about half-volume. I have a pair of small computer fans mounted to the heatsink at this time, but I'm wondering if this is something I'll have to live with or if it will be better with time. What might cause this? (My sub amp is rated for 4 ohms according to the product bulletin.) . I have a pair of small computer fans mounted to the heatsink at this time, but I'm wondering if this is something I'll have to live with or if it will be better with time.

My understanding is that the break-in of any driver is to loosen up the surround (and spider?) and to seat the voice coil mechanically. Something like the pistons in an engine. Also I suspect the cone material has to stretch tiny bit and reach some kind of fatigue plateau and this is why "they" say that metallic cone drivers need and benefit from a long break-in period. Anyone have hard info here?

Don't really know what the practical effect on the sound is.

In my experiences, the driver's output increases with break in time. If there is anything I could credit this effect to, it would be the stiffness of the surround, particularly if the surround is foam. The surround becomes much more pliable with time, and my amplifier can now drive it effortlessly, whereas it required more power at first to achieve similar SPLs.

Another factor of "break-in" is the molecular alignment that takes place in the voice coil. In the same sense a magnet is polarized, wires tend to align and conduct with less resistance and stray capacitance over time. Your voice coil will most likely have slightly better power handling once it's been used for a while.

BAM I'd say Super's on the money. I'm not saying that Ignite is wrong, I do think that any polarisation that did occur would produce negligible nett effect, (maybe I'm going deaf).

Regards WALKER

PS I now work in the power industry and I wish those transmission lines would hurry up and polarise themselves, sorry couldn't help myself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.