Breaker correct amp for kitchen!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
safety earth is just a sub issue the main issue is fire safety.
property (tax base) is more valuable to cities than ppl. doncha know

for example wire is rated per the way it is installed in the building!
types of conduit ,metal , plastic , inside un or insulated or walls ceilings. it's in the code book.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Fire safety = fault clearance times.

So the sizing of the protective cable has an impact on max fault current and voltage drop.

Breaker sizes are set to max cable loading. Not the load which will draw what it wants up to the protection device trip value.
Max loading on a cable = fire hazard due to fault current over demand on the cable.

In the UK separate fusing is used within the device to protect the load. Diversity is also an issue with starting currents, should the device fail to start correctly. Ie the start current maintains over extended periods.

The cable size has a de-rating factor as you say in your regs (code book) based upon the movement of free air to cool the wire.
Depends if its clipped on side to a wall or run inside some form of insulation. Or in our case plaster board..

But the best is to remember to not keep drilling holes in structural beams..:D well just one more won't hurt..:D
The 20mm termite strikes again..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Just for fun,

I remember looking in a panel at a high end panel design and build company..big expensive build for the power industry. Looking at a 3 phase breaker (high current isolator) mounted on its side due to space being limited in the panel. Nobody seemed to understand then I said doesn't heat rise and where are the arc shields? Glad its not one I have to switch..:D. The answer was I'm sure the design engineers have it correct.

I digress back to kitchens..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
bet the "inspector" said the same thing when he signed off the job.
that's why we use licensed insured builders right.

I guess its always easy to pick things out..like the vacuum 11Kv breakers that had the X-ray shields stripped from them and put on the floor at the back of the switch room. Because they made it hard to change the bottles.

Just in passing I asked if the shields were scrap (Oh that's what there for)and that was the reply.

LOL..:rolleyes:

Regards
M. Gregg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.