Breadboard, high-impedance and a LOT of noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok. i'm bashing my head against the wall for long enough so i'm going to ask here.

Ive been experimenting with various amps both fully-solid state and hybrid on a breadboard, but when i start using opamps in combination with high-impedances (100k and higher) i notice that my experiments suddenly get very sensitive to noise from other stuff like dc/dc regulators and the likes, but i never seem to get fully rid of it. Ive tried multiple supply filters and eventually took a look through my college's equipment and they are pretty clean, but the noise remains. I keep hearing a high-pitched EEEEEEEE sound (yes i use grid-stoppers,high-pass filters and so on to prevent oscillation).

Eventually i discovered that this noise is most likely Ground related. Even small changes in how i wire everything together affects the noise for good or for bad, but even when i try to adhere as much as possible to Star-style grounding i get close...but never completely get rid of it.

So that brings me the question: Am i going insane?? or this is actually expected behaviour considering that i'm working on a Breadboard with (sometimes long) jumper wires and 100k-1M impedances (which equal tiny currents)?? And would the noise be less when i move a design from Breadboard to a PCB???

Last edited:
>100k Z with stripboard protos, op amp's source/feedback is asking for problems

the input parasitic C of the op amp's inputs can affect stability, transfer function, much less the larger stray C of the prototyping board contact strips to each other

dead bug on solid ground plane pcb is a good prototyping technique - Linear Technology showed SOTA performance of their chips with hand built protos

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/application-note/an47fa.pdf

pth pad per hole with ground plane is another good base for prototyping

at high Z electric field coupling can become a problem, shielding can be built up with more pieces of clad pcb stock soldered into boxes

There's a high probability that "a high-pitched EEEEEEEE sound" is coming from dc/dc regulators either through the rails of via EMF.

So, as already mentioned by jwilhelm and Mooly - PSU configuration, filtering, wiring, returns, grounding scheme - all these things are important.

Most likely, the breadboard itself is ok - the issue is somewhere around it.

Your design will be much quieter in a properly designed PC board. The layout of the board, and the installation of the boards into a chassis are equally as important as the amplifier design itself.

Good to know i'm not going insane.

I'll post this just for interest although it doesn't really solve your problem:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/126370-oscillograms-testing-why-layout-matters.html

Yes, physical layout and the way signal returns and grounds are configured play a massive part. Also, high impedances and DC-DC convertors don't sound like a good combination tbh.

Im mostly working with the stuff i have available to me. i dont have the resources for linear regulators with large heatsinks or transformers to get the voltages i need so i'm making due with smaller scale stuff including DC-DC regulators. gotta say it does bring up interesting obstacles.

mine works good no parasitic oscillations or anomalies IF you put a ground wire between each connection on the board so there are no two adjacent connections floating or otherwise ,all connections go to a circuit or go to ground no adjacent signals on protoboard.

do not put a metal Groundplane directly under the Proto board as this makes a capacitor on each connection because you have only a paper insulator label so put some type of space or cardboard or something between a metal groundplane and the Proto board so you don't build a capacitor to ground

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.