Brainstorming Purifi 1et400a amps

Although I do agree that it is likely the Purifi eval input gain stage (as this is not a unity gain device, i hate calling it a buffer) could likely be improved upon, i just do not think the Neurochrome board will do so. The 1612 OPA is very, very good.
I would expect that a really talented engineer could do better though, with a discrete implementation, such as the discrete input stage used by Mr. Putzeys on the Mola Mola Kaluga amplifiers (a discrete gain stage using Bruno's "single-ended differential" approach). If one is willing to pay some dollars for different input gain stage, I am interested in something really special, not just another IC OPA approach. BTW, if one is looking for a DIY gain stage solution based on ICs, I would recommend the a24, it is very flexible and could be configured to suit the gain requirements of the Purifi modules: it also has differential input and will convert single ended inputs to balanced, and includes an RF filter on its input.

I'd be happy with an op-amp based buffer, although I don't disagree with your sentiments/viewpoint. What I really want is something which is effectively a high quality mono interface/breakout board giving ready access to the connections on the Purifi(/hypex) module. A mono version of the Purifi evaluation module really.

They obviously they exist for the various commercial amplifiers based on these modules, but I'm not aware of/haven't yet managed to find one available for DIY purchase - as a buffer module on its own. I don't know one of the existing manufacturers could be persuaded to supply them. I don't believe DIY users are actually competing with these commercial products. A DIY user wants the DIY process. If they can't get the components from one source they'll look around and work out another way of getting or making it.

No it is not that. There seems no need, the SMPS starts gracefully, provides power after a couple of seconds, and the amplifiers per se have nearly no on/off bump. It is a "crackly" one when I turn it on and off. But I observed the behaviour better.

When I turn it on from cold, no noise.
When I turn it off, there can be a little of crackle, the switch probably is not that clean and lets some little sparks? dunno.
If I turn it on again without waiting a minute or so (the blue led on the SMPS is still on, even if barely), then there is this crackle.

Nothing that worries me, but I wonder what that exactly is.

You think you get away without any heatsinking?

This is from Eval1 User Guide:
6.2 Thermal Requirements
While 1ET400A has very low idle losses and high overall efficiency, adequate cooling is essential for sustained
power delivery. Careful considerations must be given to design of the thermal system in order to achieve
desired output power specifications.
It is recommended to mount the module on a heatsink, e.g., an adequately design aluminum chassis.

closed account
Joined 2007
"True, but this is not the hypex module. Perhaps they have improved power supply noise rejection (I think they claim that). Are you suggesting to desolder the 7815 and replace it with a Belleson? Eek. :)"

Yes, that is exactly what I am considering, but until I see the supply in person I will not know how possible it is. I have done plenty of mods like this before, and do not anticipate problems, but it would depend on how tight the fit is there on the board. IDK if the PSRR of the Purifi module that they talk about includes the VDR section or not, all I know is that there have been folks who have supplied a separate power supply feed (from an ultra low noise low impedance linear supply) to the Ncore modules and reported nice sound quality increases. if it is easy for me to replace the reg I will do so, I have a good relationship with Belleson, and have a lot of their regs at hand, so it is easy for me to try as long as the board allows it-they are direct pin compatible with 7815.

Ok, so I suppose you would refer to a SPM78 or SPX78.
The 7815s are easily reachable, see here:
smps800re-power-supply-module-800w-72v.jpg

The only problem then would be the width. I just measured with my caliper and the width of the space available is 11.5 mm.

Never unsoldered something in a nondestructive way. how do you do that? first melt and remove (with a pump) the solder below, then heat the legs so that the remaining solder is molten and lightly pull up the regulators? (after unscrewing, of course ;-) )

Well, that's for much later.

Roberto

closed account
Joined 2007
You think you get away without any heatsinking?

In general, no. And I will provide a case. But my speakers have a sensitivity of 95Db/w/m. The amps rarely have to provide more than a few watts to listen at a reasonably low level (actually, a few hundred milliwatts normally and maybe 3-5 watts for peaks), and the metal plate underneath remains totally cool.

If I had some 85Db bricks I would need much much more power for the same sound pressure and of course the modules would heat and I would need a case. The plan is to use a modo slim line case with the internal 1.5mm iron baseplate and the amps would be there. So the heat would be immediately transferred to the plate and from there to the aluminum case.

I must say I do not understand all the interest in the Neurochrome buffer board for Purifi projects? What makes anyone think the Neurochrome would offer any advantage over Purifi's eval buffer board? The Neurochrome is just another IC based design. Are you at all aware of the performance of the 1612 OPA for example, it is no slouch!
If we are looking for alternatives for an input gain stage, I would hope that some enterprising DIYaudio member who is adept at discrete circuit development might design a discrete alternative specifically for the Purifi amp modules, this could be a great project, and a really good discrete circuit has the potential to outperform IC based designs if a clever and talented individual designs it. could probably be a decent commercial project as well as it is pretty clear there is going to be a demand for alternative buffers for the Purifi modules.
The people who are interested in using Tom’s UB probably own one of his amps and know just what a talented designer he is. If you can find a more transparent buffer then I’d like to hear about it.

I think I have to partially revise myself. The result with the Connex supply is so good that it cannot be only due to the amplifier board. Yes, the components on it have no noble pedigree (Samxon capacitors) but Connex has a good reputation. I believe that the sound quality here is due to the fact that the supply is regulated.

Maybe when Cresnet will provide his own I will try and upgrade it :)

Roberto

Not sure how it's possible to draw this conclusion after only trying 1 configuration. With my testing the Connex sounded anemic compared to the Hypex SMPS1200. I suggest people should try multiple supplies before claiming any superior.

Also I forgot to add that I have the top of the line RxE version. But in 600W. They show Nippon Chemi-con caps in the picture on the website. But when the product arrives it has the crappiest Chinese caps they could find.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    981.8 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:
closed account
Joined 2007
Not sure how it's possible to draw this conclusion after only trying 1 configuration. With my testing the Connex sounded anemic compared to the Hypex SMPS1200. I suggest people should try multiple supplies before claiming any superior.

You are right. My phrasing was also a bit rhetoric. But it does sound so clearly superior to the NC500 that I cannot relate it to several claims that the two modules sound "very close".

closed account
Joined 2007
Also I forgot to add that I have the top of the line RxE version. But in 600W. They show Nippon Chemi-con caps in the picture on the website. But when the product arrives it has the crappiest Chinese caps they could find.

Purifi told me to use the 800W RE version not the 600W RxE version, as it would not provide as much power. Depending on the speakers you are using, it is not a surprise that the 600RxE may sound a but "anemic".

And, yes, it is a shame that they show nice caps in the pics and then crappy caps when they sell. Sometimes I wonder how you can ever trust anything from China unless it is manufactures for a western company that can enforce quality standards - or threaten to move their contracts to another Chinese supplier.

Purifi told me to use the 800W RE version not the 600W RxE version, as it would not provide as much power. Depending on the speakers you are using, it is not a surprise that the 600RxE may sound a but "anemic".

And, yes, it is a shame that they show nice caps in the pics and then crappy caps when they sell. Sometimes I wonder how you can ever trust anything from China unless it is manufactures for a western company that can enforce quality standards - or threaten to move their contracts to another Chinese supplier.

I didn’t compare with the Purifi amps. I compared with class D amps with much worse PSRR. So the quality of the supply was even more critical. Either way the RxE is their best supply version.

closed account
Joined 2007
Human auditory memory is pretty poor and fallible, but I know you are aware of that.

I am absolutely aware of that! Also, quoting myself from ASR:

What I can say is that this little concoction sounds to me (yes, this is a subjective perception, and it may be the so called "cockroach effect" [1]) better than the NC500+Hypex power supply. More pleasing and smooth highs, for instance.

[1] The cockroach effect, in Neapolitan language "effetto scarrafone", from the proverb "Ogne scarrafone è bell' a mamma soja", i.e. "every cockroach is beautiful for his mom". This is the apex of confirmation bias for DIYers: if you have built it yourself, it sounds better than anything else.

Another type of confirmation bias is dear Maty taking my subjective and builder's impressions as another proof that anything is better than a hypex power supply. I should have phrased things differently.

Where’s your evidence that this supply is superior? You know Hypex has 10000+ SMPS’s out in the field. And over the last 10 years it’s undergone 7 revisions. All weak links have been solved. There’s not a single SMPS in the audio industry more proven. Yet some people with absolutely no experience, or any data whatsoever are making claims that completely unproven designs are superior. How is this helpful to the DIY community?

I am absolutely aware of that! Also, quoting myself from ASR:

What I can say is that this little concoction sounds to me (yes, this is a subjective perception, and it may be the so called "cockroach effect" [1]) better than the NC500+Hypex power supply. More pleasing and smooth highs, for instance.

[1] The cockroach effect, in Neapolitan language "effetto scarrafone", from the proverb "Ogne scarrafone è bell' a mamma soja", i.e. "every cockroach is beautiful for his mom". This is the apex of confirmation bias for DIYers: if you have built it yourself, it sounds better than anything else.

Another type of confirmation bias is dear Maty taking my subjective and builder's impressions as another proof that anything is better than a hypex power supply. I should have phrased things differently.

We need a "like" function... :)