BOZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just finished the BOZ preamp and have a few questions regarding its operation.

First of all when I fired it up for the first time I couldn't get enough bias voltage to turn on the mosfets. I traced this back to the fact that I was getting nearly 40V drop across the power supply resistors (47.5KOhm part of the RC filter) leaving me with only 20V rails. This puzzeld me as the rest of the circuit seemed to be working OK. I bypassed these resistors with wire and the circuit works great except.....

The second problem is that when there is no input to the preamp a loud hum is emitted through the speakers. I am guessing this is either a grounding problem or removing the filter resistors has introduced a lot of noise into the circuit.

Any ideas about either of these problems?

Cheers

Dan

Dan

Glad I could help (even though I have never considered building a Pass design). A kohm resistor in the supply rail just didn't make sense. I wondered at first if there was a typo in your post.

It could well be that you have a grounding problem as well, so if the hum is still there when you get the supply rail voltage correct you will have to investigate further.

Geoff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.