Boutique fuses

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why are boutique fuses made with gold or silver fuse wire? One possible issue with any fuse is that the internal wire does get quite hot in normal use and the resistance will vary with the current.
Gold and silver have very similar temperature coefficients to copper.
A far better choice would be nichrome or constantin.

Twenty years ago I was designing cards with wire ended fuses. These would avoid the two pressure contacts of a conventional fuse in holder

The marketing propaganda is worded in such manner to confuse audiophiles (who take point from biased and paid reviews, unreliable white papers, and generally believe what they read in their "internet research") into thinking that gold and silver should allow better electron flow by offering a lower resistance. Gold and silver do conduct better than other materials but carefully consider how a fuse operates. The point of a fuse is that it does have a resistive character and thus gets hot with increased current flow. That is what causes it to blow and sequentially protect the device into which its installed. If it had a lower resistance, it would blow later or at a higher current, rather than when it should. The gold, silver, quantum nano particles or whatever they claim to use, is marketing. There is another part I would like to discuss involving antilogarithm thermal coefficients but I'll withhold that information because if I post it, the dealers and fuse re-branders will start brandishing it on the box without understanding one word they've written.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.