boutique capacitor haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
During this time if someone have a strong opinion he is considered mad and hist thread need to be closed. 60 years ago such behavior was considered a virtue .

Our society is falling apart .

There is a group here that hates boutiques capacitors.
Also peoples from this group attack and report any post that praises such products and usually they want such threads deleted .

This group considers that boutique caps like Elna , Silmic or Kaisei are just snake oil and a 5 cents chinese cap will sound equal if the 5 cents one is not out of the specs offered by the producer.

Also this group are not audiophiles and they don't have hifi amplifiers or speakers so their conclusions are based simply on a certain theory and some measurements using certain simple wave analizers.
I observed this repeated behavior this group attacking , reporting and instigating to destruction any thread that have something good to say about such caps.
I was trying to understand the psychology behind those actions and why they do this .
For now I won't tell what I think about their psychology and their true reasons of their actions .

Last edited:
erm Elma are not exactly boutique. beeswax impregnated paper and silver foil is boutique.

Otherwise your rant is noted as a rant and I can't be bothered to dissect all the other errors in there.
Silmics logically speaking indeed they are boutique in the electrolytic sphere department
Woow you can't be bothered to dissect all my other errors . Just woow :D.

Prices are reasonable, specifications and measurements are available. They disqualify themselves from boutique. They may not be best value for the function but they are not snake oil overpriced rubbish.
The cheapest caps can cost up to 100x less compared to a Silmic but there is this group that claim they sound the same and that if I hear a difference I'm just subjective and I'm imagining ...You can use any positive argument against them and still they will remain motionless ..

robert2017 said:
There is a group here that hates boutiques capacitors.
Also peoples from this group attack and report any post that praises such products and usually they want such threads deleted .
I have never heard of anyone here reporting a post to the mods on the grounds that it advocates 'boutique capacitors'. Have you any evidence for this claim?

I have never heard of anyone on here who hates any type of component. That would be a rather strange attitude: to hate an inanimate object which does little harm (except perhaps to someone's wallet). Almost as strange as loving a component.

What I have seen here several times is that fans of such capacitors get so emotional in some threads that they temporarily forget their manners, get reported for insulting behaviour and then get sin-binned for a while so they can cool off. The thread may be closed. The solution is simple: stay sober and address the issue not the person. A little humour can help.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Really? .47uF 50V silmic (picked at random) is 23p in singles. Other Al electrolytics seem to span that range with the cheap Wurth units being 9p. Where are the 5 for a penny capacitors?

Note that no attempt has been made to compare the specification parameters that matter, just the cost.

There is a group here that hates boutiques capacitors . . . this group are not audiophiles and they don't have hifi amplifiers or speakers so their conclusions are based simply on a certain theory and some measurements using certain simple wave analizers.
Could it be that members of this group are scientifically literate and actually understand the concept of capacitance and how methods of construction affect the working parameters of practical capacitors?

Manufacturers measure and publish the electrical parameters of their capacitors to allow the puchaser to quantify how effective they are. If manufacturers of 'boutique' capacitors follow the same principles, there is no need to buy their products as an act of faith.

audiophile:

Merriam-Webster - a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction

Oxford English - A hi-fi enthusiast

Dictionary.com - a person who is especially interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction

The Free Dictionary - A person having an ardent interest in stereo or high-fidelity sound reproduction

Perhaps the OP can share his secret definition of audiophile as these seem both innocuous and descriptive of most people who would regularly visit a website such as this one.

That's what I'm talking about .
And they claim those can be equal with Silmics and KZs regarding the sound and there won't be any difference between an amp full of those and another full with expansive caps .

"Expansive" caps may damage the sound, but I guess some like the artificially increased dynamic range.

A correctly chosen non-faulty coupling cap cannot damage or enhance the sound. The wrong cap or a faulty cap can do a little damage. Acting as a coupling cap is about the easiest job for a capacitor, so it would have to be spectacularly bad to make much difference.

"Expansive" caps may damage the sound, but I guess some like the artificially increased dynamic range.

A correctly chosen non-faulty coupling cap cannot damage or enhance the sound. The wrong cap or a faulty cap can do a little damage. Acting as a coupling cap is about the easiest job for a capacitor, so it would have to be spectacularly bad to make much difference.
This is priceless . Don't use expansive caps because will damage the sound . Instead better use cheap generic ones to preserve the sound quality .

I am on the fence about this, but then I am no EE.

We know that two different amplifiers with the same measure THD can sound different ( think harmonic structure of the distortion or lead/lag of distortion component with respect to signal).

That *must* come from somewhere.... why can't parts have an effect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.