Bose bashing...literally!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bose is for audio what apple is for computing
That would have a smidgen of truth to it, if there was actually someone in the industry even approaching Apple in general quality.

I'm not saying Apple's products represent the best that is possible with the technology of today. Far, far from it. But as it is now, they are the lesser evil of many.
We are generally way way behind were we should have been. Esp. with regards to software development, systems programming and user interfaces. But that is only Apples fault to a small degree. And it's a free for all to do something about it.

Bose on the other hand really is the concept of paying for the brand exemplified perfectly. There are several other products that do the same or better at a much a lower price. They have basically build their whole reputation on a one hit wonder, the 901.

I have a pair of 901's. They were purchased new by my parents sometime around 1994. Needless to say...I'm plenty familiar with how they sound. I have them because they were going to be thrown away, so the purchase price was $0. Thinking about all the terrible speakers one's ears can be abused by at your local big-box electronics stores I can say with 100% certainty that I would be willing to part with 3,maybe $400, for a pair....if I didn't know any better. Their current home is in the garage, doing duty overpowering the sounds of power tools. For that job they are perfect.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They're driven by:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ehhhh....backwards, forwards....there are issues no matter which way you point them. I'm most often standing at the bench ( with the door closed )when in the garage - in which case they basically become a giant pair of headphones. Flipping them around actually made them sound better in that particular spot. There's probably a perfectly logical explanation for it that is totally beyond me :).

Bose has the best marketing in the business, hands down. I am very interested in advertising and I give them full marks. I am also an Altec groupy and have heard most of the speakers you list.

The Altec 7 and 9 were brought out as something the common man could afford while still saying they had Altec speakers, nothing more. They aren't what Altec people talk about when discussing their speakers. They are very ordinary and were higher priced than they should have been.

I have only heard the Ohm speaker very briefly and cannot form an opinion.

The Bose 301 was a tricky little devil. Unless you put it up against a good speaker and did an A/B test, I can see why you might think they deserve merit.

The 501 was a sound I couldn't wrap my head around. It seemed like Bose wanted so bad to have one between the 301 and the 601 but that's the best they had time for. The 401 I never heard.

I have nothing bad to say about the Pioneers 1100's.

The 901, the flagship speaker I have utter admiration for and of course for the good Doctor. But why? Who in their right mind designs a speaker that makes very little sense from a design standpoint, that requires more EQ than is fair to your system? That's easy, they're sexy, damn sexy. If it weren't for that speaker I'd wager there would be no Bose today.

Time sync is a little off. The 501 was out before the 301 and the 601 and was more of a marketing speaker to make a less expensive more conventional speaker using "direct reflecting" principle. Bose corporation would still be around without the 901, but you wouldn't recognize it. They do employ real engineers, and did some industrial electronics as well as speakers, but monetarily these areas were miniscule compared to the commercial successes. Just my 2 cents....

That would have a smidgen of truth to it, if there was actually someone in the industry even approaching Apple in general quality.

I'm not saying Apple's products represent the best that is possible with the technology of today. Far, far from it. But as it is now, they are the lesser evil of many.
We are generally way way behind were we should have been. Esp. with regards to software development, systems programming and user interfaces. But that is only Apples fault to a small degree. And it's a free for all to do something about it.

Bose on the other hand really is the concept of paying for the brand exemplified perfectly. There are several other products that do the same or better at a much a lower price. They have basically build their whole reputation on a one hit wonder, the 901.

Its an opinion. I think both products revolve around good looks and marketing hype with little substance. Apple IMO not quality, its a computer not an object of art. To me quality computing is functionality not closed systems designed to fence you into buying more content and hardware.

Its an opinion. I think both products revolve around good looks and marketing hype with little substance. Apple IMO not quality, its a computer not an object of art. To me quality computing is functionality not closed systems designed to fence you into buying more content and hardware.

No, it's about as close to fact as it is possible to get with something that is as entirely a mental castle in the sky, as a computer system.
OSX is build on a much better and more coherent and thought through foundation than either windows or Linux.
Usabilitywise it is also better and more flexible (in the right ways) than windows (and before you begin, there are actually sure ways to measure usability).
Of course something you are used to will always feel more right to begin with. But if you stick with it OSX is better, if dated a dated paradigm (but that goes too for any version of windows many time over).

If we are talking iPad then it's true that the OS and software model leaves a lot to be desired. It's fine for a phone, where it just needs to work, fast and frictionless. But on a larger device where you'd want to have, or approach at least, symmetric content creation it's not good enough.
But the same thing goes for any pad or tablet on the market. If Android gives you the illusion of something else then you are naive at best.
Apple still has the best product there, even if a lot is left to be desired.

I can't really think of who would be the equivalent to Apple in the audio business. It would be a company that makes great, if a bit traditional products with unique features, a less is more attitude and with great modernistic design. All at a price that is payable for most, of you really want the product.
Most manufacturers seem to either cater to the lowish end with run of the mill products or be crazy expensive exotica.

And why does it always degenerate into a p!ssing contest over Apple/MS? I use my choice for my reasons and others use theirs for their reasons. Period. End of discussion. Those who are not lemmings will make this choice on utility, not hype.

Bob

No p¡ssing contest on my behalf, just correcting a wrong analogy.
There is some stuff that is not available on Mac yet. If you really need one of those programs, off course you should use windows (or Linux for that matter).
I use dual boot and an old win 7 license I was given, works like a charm (whether you want to pay for windows is of course a matter of how much you'll use it, and how much you want to support a product that you are really using more out of neccessity rather than choice).

Last edited:
In the engineering department of an Chicago based audio company I once worked for we had a sign that read; BOSE, NO HIGHS, NO LOWS!

yep a favorite quote of people who have never heard 901's properly set up.
I refer to the 2 way 15" woofer big tweeter home stereo systems as boom hiss speakers. Or to twist the popular saying;
"If you only hear highs and lows those aren't bose speakers"

The majority of music is in the mid range, only recently has the kick the drum become a lead instrument.

yep a favorite quote of people who have never heard 901's properly set up.
I refer to the 2 way 15" woofer big tweeter home stereo systems as boom hiss speakers. Or to twist the popular saying;
"If you only hear highs and lows those aren't bose speakers"

The majority of music is in the mid range, only recently has the kick the drum become a lead instrument.

Some of us play both sides of the field and have fun. See pic
System 1:
Speakers: econowave with Eminence Beta 12LTA + QSC wave guide / Dayton DE250 compression driver . Enclosures are gutted realistic mach one cabinets operating as sealed & stuffed boxes
Amplification: biamped with Mcintosh MC2100 on the woofers and Push Pull 2A3 on the horn tweeters.
Crossover/EQ: minidigi/minidsp
DAC: coax digital output from a hifimediy DAC
Source: Pogoplug hacked to a squeezebox client and server (squeezeplug)

System 2:
Speakers: Bose 901 series ii
Amplification: Behringer INuke 3000 DSP
Crossover/EQ: Using the DSP on the behringer . Used REW to generate correction functions for starters and implemented them via the PC interface. Still tweaking but almost there. I have the Bose EQ module but the DSP approach is much more flexible.
DAC:analog output from a hifimediy DAC

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    508.1 KB · Views: 317
My 901's are powered with a Carver PM700 amp off the ext amp outputs of my Yamaha RX992 Receiver.

I had a BBE 442 and a rane ac23 crossover bypassing the 901 EQ and using a
samson s2000 amp for the EV sb18 sub for awhile when my PA wasn't being used. That was louder but didn't sound as good as normal listening levels.

Some of us play both sides of the field and have fun. See pic
System 1:
Speakers: econowave with Eminence Beta 12LTA + QSC wave guide / Dayton DE250 compression driver . Enclosures are gutted realistic mach one cabinets operating as sealed & stuffed boxes
Amplification: biamped with Mcintosh MC2100 on the woofers and Push Pull 2A3 on the horn tweeters.
Crossover/EQ: minidigi/minidsp
DAC: coax digital output from a hifimediy DAC

System 2:
Speakers: Bose 901 series ii
Amplification: Behringer INuke 3000 DSP
Crossover/EQ: Using the DSP on the behringer . Used REW to generate correction functions for starters and implemented them via the PC interface. Still tweaking but almost there. I have the Bose EQ module but the DSP approach is much more flexible.
DAC:analog output from a hifimediy DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.