Bose acustimass 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:
If you like the speakers don't listen to those guys and simply enjoy.;)

that is true, but then i've found a lot of bose owners are very close-minded. they think their speakers are the best but havent' really given other (good) speakers a chance. i used to be like this actually. my first pair of speakers (my dad's stereo) were Bose 901 Series III. i loved them and thought they were the greatest speakers on the planet, having heard very few other speakers, most of which sounded very thin in comparison. it was only after adjusting to the sound of accuracy and getting the "bose sound" out of my ear that i realized how false it is. my dad was a tougher person to convert, he continued to cling to the "richness" of his 901's many years after i moved on to better stuff. then i got him a pair of JM Lab Daline 6.1's (very nice transmission line towers) for father's day, and the 901's have been in the garage ever since. so yes, enjoy, but keep an open ear at the same time.

if bose gave no specs, and their speakers sounded fantastic, then i would have no beef with them. but with speakers like the AM-5 which are so clearly bad-sounding and poorlyl designed, and with the prices they charge for what you get...

sam9

Our brains are such good signal processors that we can adapt to a wide range of sound environments. Just the other day I put on a series of old 40's amd 50's records. Nothing special. After a a glass of brandy and an hour of hiss, clicks, crackles etc I started to imagine I must be Phillip Marlow, the Thin Man or even Sam Spade.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Re: sam9

[/I] Our brains are such good signal processors that we can adapt to a wide range of sound environments.

-Originally posted by sam9

How true.

I am reminded of the true account I read in Audio magazine once. When he was just starting out in the business, a young engineer was hired by a loudspeaker company. After tweaking several designs, he noticed that his boss always wanted the high ranges very very soft compared to the rest of the music. His boss said that it sounded more natural, just like at the symphony hall where he had season tickets for several years.

One Friday, the young engineer's boss asked him if he would like to go to the symphony hall that Saturday night, since something came up and he would not be able to attend. The young engineer was glad to get the chance to attend with his boss' tickets.

When he got to symphony hall and sat in his boss' customary reserved seat, he noticed something. The particular spot where the boss' seat was located was a "dead spot" for high frequencies. When he excused himself a couple of times and moved around the hall as if to go to the men's room, the high ranges returned.

His boss was tuning every speaker the company made to match the high frequency output of the "dead spot" where his symphony seats were located. To his boss, that was what the music was supposed to sound like!

Badge Engineering

It is interesting how many audio noddies who come into my shop and blurt out the terms Bose and Monster Cable.
All that expensive advertising has reached the masses.
Regarding the Bose knockers, it really is not such a bad product for many people.
They are non critical and will work ok in just about any room, and the cone tweeters appeal to many listeners.
If they are cheap enough, grab them and enjoy.
You can always upgrade later, and with the Bose badge are easy to resell.

Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.