Bose 901 upgrade

Joined 2010
Paid Member
In any case, devisive and all, Bose heritage firmly belongs to the East Coast audio culture's greats.

Are you sure?

I always thought ADS epitomized East Coast Sound while JBL did the same for West Coast Sound.

I honestly don't know what audio culture Bose followed. I can only think that it was an early attempt at multipolar speakers -including the aforementioned Design Acoustics D-12 and of course the Quads.

Whatever happened to Mirage Speakers? I almost bought a pair of M-1s back in '87.

Account Closed
Joined 2022
Are you sure?

I always thought ADS epitomized East Coast Sound while JBL did the same for West Coast Sound.

I honestly don't know what audio culture Bose followed. I can only think that it was an early attempt at multipolar speakers -including the aforementioned Design Acoustics D-12 and of course the Quads.

Whatever happened to Mirage Speakers? I almost bought a pair of M-1s back in '87.
Mirage went from Bipolar to Omnipolar.

http://www.audiopolitan.com/blog/mirage-speakers-the-omnipolar-sound-approach/

We did have access to a range of RtRs, from Sony to Revox & Crown SX700 /800 series and whatever the high end cassette at time, but one of the requests was to play selected vinyl that the girls might bring.
I’m not sure if you remember CAV in the basement of Yates St, but one of our customers at the time was Paul Horn, and he smuggled us some pre-mastering mix down studio tapes from a Joni Mitchell session (Court and Spark, I think) - he knew a guy:giggle: Two track, 15ips Dolby A on an all Crown International system SC800 series / DC300 / ES224. Pretty damned impressive music, and Paul was a helluva nice guy. He lived in the Vantreight Park area at the time - not too far from your current abode.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
AR (Acoustic Research) KLH, and Advent epitomized east coast sound while Altec and JBL were considered west coast sound.

ADS from a practical standpoint was a buyout and transplant of Braun's (German) audio products division which was acquired by ADS's founder sometime in the early 1980s.(Not sure of exact date) I did a very brief stint at ADS in the late 1980s as a contractor. Bose was a much better place to work and I learned the ropes of good engineering practice there.

East Coast Sound is a bit of a misnomer, we are really talking about the sound Edgar Vilchur and Henry Kloss created here in Massachusetts in the late 1950s and early 1960s, of the later start ups I would say Advent and Boston Acoustics clearly and closely fit the mold, arguably ADS as well with a more Teutonic influence and European aesthetics.

Apogee Acoustics, EPI, Cambridge Soundworks (Henry Kloss' last company) and DBX also started here.

Lots of audio history here, Bose fits into a different category and I would not really regard it as part of the school of east coast sound.

Other than somewhat less than a decade overseas I have spent most of my life within 50 miles of Boston, and indeed the past 20 within 2 miles of the city line. (LOL) My interest in hifi goes back to 1961 when my dad took to one of the 3 original Radio Shack stores which was located in Kenmore Square in Boston to purchase his first stereo. (I purchased all the rest for him later.)

Last edited:
As for the east coast sound, I think it probably started before my introduction to the addiction with the Edgar Villchur /Henry Kloss & Joseph Hoffman / Winslow Burhoe era - Acoustic Research / KLH/ Advent, EPI then the numerous offshoots.
Stuck in an edit loop for a few minutes, I see that Kevin more thoroughly covered the subject. Must have been quite an educational experience working with those two firms.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In case anyone was wondering I am a firm adherent of... wait for it.... a Japanese interpretation of west coast sound.. I have what are essentially Altec 515-8G in diy Onken cabinets, TAD-4001 on clones of the Yuichi A-290 horns for mids, and FaitalPro HF-10AK on STH100 horns. Even worse crossovers, delay, room management are all digital and I have class D on subs, and bass drivers with anemic 6.5W SE amps on mids and highs.

I walked away from east coast sound about 30 years ago with the first pair of Magnepans. East coast sound made good stereo sound possible in average sized American middle class living rooms of the time. (Altec and JBL gear was imposingly larger and many people around here had dedicated rooms for that kind of gear in the 1960s.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have had a few pair of Series I and II, and recapping the EQ made a huge difference in the sound quality.
I worked on a reworked version of the later op-amp based EQ for use with the older 901 series II and III for replacement purposes. The series I would have been nearly 30 yrs old by that time. I don't recall much about it other than it looked a lot better, was significantly quieter and conformed more closely to the target EQ. It might even have sounded better.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And contrary to popular belief that the driver was a cheap of the shelf item, there was a lot of careful design, testing and materials science involved in its design. The plastic basket everyone liked to rag on was expensive, it was rigid (fiber reinforced IIRC), lightweight and very strong. I know some years ago I wrote more extensively about it somewhere on the forum.

Just trying to set the record straight, and yeah I often wondered why I was not a big fan of the speaker, it was smooth, created a (unrealistically) huge soundstage which worked great with symphonic music and some jazz and actually had good if not exceptional bass performance. It was never unpleasant or shrill and in room was good to about 16kHz which practically speaking was better than I was doing here until a year or so ago. There was enough detail to satisfy the average listener (not me as I am and was a detail freak.)

It was produced in significant volumes and enjoyed economies of scale that most of the competition did not. Bose grew into a much larger company than most of its competition. Other than Klipsch it is probably one of the very few legacy brands still operating in the U.S. (Just speaker makers - obviously there are others like ARC and McIntosh but their stories are complicated and OT.)

(Most of the rest are now brand names of foreign electronics conglomerates based in Korea and Japan.)

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I was cleaning up the closet... I'm gonna end up tossing like 30+ years of TAS, Stereophile, SGHT and TPV. No one seems to want them. Look what I found...

Right now I'm keeping the old TAS because of Enid Lumley.

Attachments

• 20230722_183847.jpg
    20230722_183847.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 65
I’m not sure if you remember CAV in the basement of Yates St, but one of our customers at the time was Paul Horn, and he smuggled us some pre-mastering mix down studio tapes from a Joni Mitchell session (Court and Spark, I think) - he knew a guy:giggle: Two track, 15ips Dolby A on an all Crown International system SC800 series / DC300 / ES224. Pretty damned impressive music, and Paul was a helluva nice guy. He lived in the Vantreight Park area at the time - not too far from your current abode.
Yes, I vaguely remember CAV. It seemed like a tiny place.

I believe Paul's ex-wife is still alive, living in the same house. I used to see her quite regularly. It's one of the few old houses still standing overlooking the ocean.

jeff

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lots of audio history here, Bose fits into a different category and I would not really regard it as part of the school of east coast sound.
I meant belonging to east coast sound not strictly in a tonal but more in a cultural and historical way. Another facet of it, but the most successful company to emerge from there no doubt. Who else east coast audio brand had own stores even in international airports. The Bose logo on cancellation headphones wore by big jets commercial pilots is iconic. Done it in its own way yes, but everybody knows Bose, everybody knows Massachusetts and MIT, knows it was a legit part of it all.

Reactions: 1 users
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Kevin, when you gonna take the time to pen your own version of history of audio - a la Lynn Olson’s Nutshell HiFi’s Tiny History of High Fidelity.
Recommend reading for those not already familiar
http://www.nutshellhifi.com/
The problem is I never wrote any of this stuff down, and after 3 - 4 decades my recollections are I think rather unreliable and very fuzzy. I worked with Dick Burwin, and even met Henry Kloss once, as well a couple of HH Scott people whose names I can't even remember. Given my interests, chosen career path, and where I live none of this is terribly surprising - looking back on it I guess have to admit I got to meet some interesting people. :D

Met some great folks myself, both during a few years in the audio retail trenches back in the late ‘70s- mid ‘80s*, as well as Doc Bottlehead’s little shows in the early ‘00s. Jeeze, just realized that the last of those was 2008.
*one business was a Dahlquist dealer when sales were still direct from the factory, and I can remember phoning the head office and getting a “hello, this is Saul, what can we do for you?”

Reactions: 1 users
Many many moons ago I was due to live mix in a very small club (Melb. Australia) but the expected PA didn't arrive.
Someone made a rushed-dash to RMIT, and returned with this 'baby' 8Ch. mixer.
The 'house system' was 4x BOSE 802's & 2x Phase Linear amps. So that's what we hooked up.
Given a really nice drum/guitar/bass balance coming off stage, the 802's were nearly all vocals.
I was surprised how good that GIG sounded :)

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The PA they were using up in San Luis Obispo in the early 80 for bluegrass shows used a pair of Bose 802s.

They sounded really good, with big Crown amps and a 10 channel mixer. Specially outdoors! They didn't have to be pushed to put out some really good sounding music from 50 feet away at the park.