bose 501v info

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Out of curiosity I have agreed to accept a pair of Bose 501's that were described as tall and skinny so I think they are series V. Other than the owners manual I can't find any info about its design. I'd prefer to not destroy them to find out. Looks like I could get get $200-300 for them. Also, I don't really want to hear that bose sucks unless you are particularly witty.

Where/how is woofer mounted? It almost looks like some sort of band pass enclosure.
It is a bandpass enclosure, woofer is inside the box, horizontally mounted.
Actually, it doesn't sound bad, especially at mid/high. Maybe the best sounding Bose model for the money (along with 301) but with a more conventional sound stage. Attractive/modern looking also. But for $300 you can easily buy something better.

Last edited:
I am still not seeing any more specs other than the owners manual, which I found in 5 seconds, well before I asked here. Thanks. I am curious about the nominal impedance. I am assuming 4ish because of the 2 tweeters. Also sensitivity, crossover point, maybe a schematic or some phase/impedance graphs. Isn't there a more technical document some where? Also, as I said I am not buying them. I agreed to take them for free out of curiosity.

I always thought it seemed that Bose only stated the woofer/tweet sizes and then something special or unique about the cabinet etc, and always left out the details of sens figures or imp etc etc.. Probably the only place these figures will be found is if somewhere on the net there was a review of the model in question, or if you were to take your own measurements. You'd think that there should be something out there somewhere, as Bose is/was very popular all these years with a good chunk of the masses, and I imagine they sold many of those units back in the day..

Edit: After searching for a bit it would seem that other than just your basic stereo owner guy type of review there isn't any real good info for them, or any in depth magazine type review on them that I can find, dunno?

Last edited:
I am curious about the nominal impedance. I am assuming 4ish because of the 2 tweeters. Also sensitivity, crossover point, maybe a schematic or some phase/impedance graphs.

Also, as I said I am not buying them. I agreed to take them for free out of curiosity.
Nominal impedance should be "6 ohm", because minimal impedance is from 5 to 5.5 ohm in the range from 250 to 800 Hz (yes, I measured it, long time ago), and much of the rest is above 7 ohm. But many of loudspeakers today with such an impedance surely would be marketed as an "8 ohm" loudspeaker.
Acoustical crossover frequency is about 220 Hz.
Sensitivity is about 87 dB/2.83V/1m as I recall.

Bose 501 V for free? Well, that is very good performance/price ratio for a Bose loudspeaker! :D

One would think so, but B0$3 marketing/legal dept. thought otherwise, so for ~14 yrs the media [wisely] stood mute and the main reason why some of us use its name as an expletive second to none: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose_Corp._v._Consumers_Union_of_United_States,_Inc.

GM
Society was not prepared for such an advanced speaker. I danced to the sound of a pair in a Disco in the 70's and tell you that it was enough (dB's/quality/soundstage). :)
It was very hot inside and it was a very "hot" speaker. Yes, sound was coming from behind the walls what would make the space more spacious and sound "not reflecting" (like as in a standard speaker) what may seem as a paradox. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.