Boost converter for TPA3116D2 used in car

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Session,
No, it is in the low end power wise. For two reasons:
1) The absolute current handling limit of the boost switch in LM2587 is 5A. If you could use it to the absolute maximum (not advised), you would have some 90% (assumed efficiency of the power converter) of 13Vx5A=75W (at the input), thus some 67W at the converter output. The amplifier losses will eat another 10% and you have around 60W total available for the speakers. That may be less than you assumed.
2) Much worse, this 33uH boost choke cannot do 5A without saturation. Rather 3A. So, you have considerably less power than first assumed for your amplifier. It may be even worse when taking the current ripple into account.

Find a more powerful boost converter. Cheap power converters tend to present specification values that are often deceptive when analyzed in detail.

Last edited:
Thank you for you answer. I am a novice when it comes to electronics (atleast compared to many on this forum). Do you know of a boost converter more suitable for this job?

This beeing in a car (close distance between speakers and ears) and speakers have 93dB/1W sensitivity the need for high W may not be that important?

I fully agree that you need not much power :checked:. This is a logic that is not common among many installing car audio systems :boggled:.
Why don't you use the 13V already available?
In case also you wants more power than you need, I will look a little around for a suitable boost converter. Please give me some hours. :wave2:

I thought about using the 13,9V (at charge) directly. Would I need some capacitors for peaks/smoothing? TPA3116D2 datasheet says 14V would give aound 2x21W (THD+N 1%). This should result in about 98dB at 6 feet distance. Enough for my needs.

Would still be great to hear your thoughts on a suitable boost converter for learning purposes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.