Boominator / Thodio IBox Replica Iphone Speaker System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, let me first start by saying, I know there have been a couple of these threads. However, it seems like there are many knowledgeable folks on here and I would like to be the sponge in this case.

I want to build my own Thodio IBox XC esentially (here). I am am sure of the size of the box and I have the idea of the building process, but where I need the genius minds of you guys is in the components.

Many people have been using many different amp boards. I am looking currently at the TK2050 class-D 2X100w. Here

I'm not sure of the drivers yet, but would like a nice set of coaxials that will perform very nicely outside.

I am also lacking for thoughts on which battery to use. I would love to get the same usage as the IBOX XC gets which is around 12 at high volume. Any ideas? Also how i would set it up to charge? And while charging, or plugged in, should I have the system pull power from the power supplier instead of the battery?

Would a solar panel be benificial at this size?

The dimensions of the full project will be:
43 x 27 x 28cm / 16.9 x 10.6 x 11 inches L x W x H

I'd like an on off switch, volume knob, volt meter gauge or panel vu meter tr-35 would be cool if that could be added? The 1/8" input jack (I don't want bluetooth.) I'd love to ultimately put in EQ nobs as well but not sure of that one yet.

Is it necessary to have two seperate chambers for the two drivers?

As far as having the dock, I understand that it will drain battery a little faster, so I am not so sure about that one yet either.

Any other thoughts and comments would be REALLY appreciated!

Sorry if I'm opening another can of worms here!!

i recommend you to use regular amps if you are a begginer.go with a 2x tda2003 kit since they sound good.You can buy the chips and assemble yourself.You can go with tda 8560 or 1557 wich are quite expensive and sound worse but are more powerfull.
for battery you can use an ups battery or d cell batteries in series.
Also use those speakers since they sound better than those cheap ones in the original Visaton BG17-8 6.5" Full-Range Speaker with Whizzer Cone 292-546
I would recommed you to build a different box if you cant find building details
PetruV

Ok yea I will check out those boards, and I'll look in to a different design. I just want to keep it compact so I can throw a handle on it and take it somewhere like the beach.

I'm not sure which drivers you are talking about? Are you saying the link that you posted has the drivers I should get or shouldn't get?

And will those amp boards get me the power I need to get a solid full sound outdoors? Thanks for all the help!!

I suggest you choose a 4ohm driver, while taking into account sensitivity, to run of batteries efficiently this is vital.

I also suggest 20watts by 2 will be sufficient and that a ta2020 chip would be ideal and even hard to beat for this application atm. This with a lot of 6.5 speakers should be enough for 10 poeple to sit around getting chatty with drinks for eg.

Batteries, theres many option, lifepo4 is certainly the best chemistry these days. Solar panels are also popular in these applications...... all depends on desired run time how long to charge etc

For stereo speakers, yes separate speaker enclosures.

I would advise spending some time on the threads dealing with other peoples designs. As all the info you require has been covered many times, both here on diy and other forums.

Last edited:
Yes I agree with the drivers! As far as the 2020, I just want something that's really going to punch, and I'm afraid I won't get that with a 2x20w board.

I've check other posts and the majority are for something much larger. They are all for 8" drivers and larger. And the lifepo4 batteries are awesome but rather large in most cases. I want something at if 10 people are sitting around, I could play it loud enough to where they couldn't here the person next to them;)

I've check other posts and the majority are for something much larger. They are all for 8" drivers and larger. And the lifepo4 batteries are awesome but rather large in most cases. I want something at if 10 people are sitting around, I could play it loud enough to where they couldn't here the person next to them;)

Hoffman's Iron Law!

Or in other words. Maybe you should investigate what the laws of physics allow before putting up demands that require breaking them.

I want something at if 10 people are sitting around, I could play it loud enough to where they couldn't here the person next to them;)

This you cannot have with anything like the eg picture you have posted(well not with any bass anyway)........... As with any project that turns out well, the work is in the research and planning...... You really need to research more as i have already said...... gain an understanding of the concepts and technology involved..... then come back and ask more specific questions........................ The approach of i want this tell me how will not give your desired results, actually, you wont come up with a feasible plan even....... As you can see though theres friendly folks here that are willing to help.

Litium ion batteries are 40 percent smaller and cheaper. And both are much lighter than lead acid.

Essentially for eq, you should be able to turn the bass or treble up or down enough at source. Anything else should be built into the original design.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes I agree with the drivers! As far as the 2020, I just want something that's really going to punch, and I'm afraid I won't get that with a 2x20w board.

You might want to look at the TI based class D amp chips. There is a TPA3123 board from Muse that is bridged with dual IC's for 50 watts/ch. look in the TPA3100d2 thread for link. Was very cost effective optionhttp://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170998792530 . Not commercially available as a cheap board yet but I have built both the TPA3118d2 and 3116d2 amps and I believe they sound much better than TA's from Tripath. 30 watts and 50 watts/ch respectively. The 3116 will do 30 watts clean at 0.1% THD vs TA2020 which is really 6 watts at same distortion figure. The TPAs also have more powerful bass and better resolution for super detailed mids and highs. The other option to consider is the TPA3122 board from Jerry's electronics or the equivalent kit board from Sure.

Last edited:
Ok, most have given respectable information that I can further my knowledge with... Which is exactly why I joined this site. I never claimed to know the ins and outs of the components, I am good with wood-work, and I am very familiar with live sound.

I am not saying that I am closed to anything that isn't exactly like the Thodio IBox, i just want a similar design with the 6.5" drivers.

I have been looking at the Polk Audio MM651's, and using a smaller LiFePo4 12V battery. I have some friends who will help me with the wiring, and I will construct the box myself. I still need to figure out the exact dimensions of this thing.

Any more ideas would still be very helpful. I guess I have to be more clear when I say that I want it to be loud. I know I can't get a gidiculous sound out of 2 6.5" speakers, but I want to get as much quality sound as possible.

Hoffman's Iron Law!

Or in other words. Maybe you should investigate what the laws of physics allow before putting up demands that require breaking them.

Actually I am pretty familiar, seeing as how I am an Engineering student..... I obviously am aware that I will not be able to blow the roof off of a house. I run live sound on a weekly basis and have several systems that I could set up and push all kinds of power... But I am looking for something I can take to the beach and play volleyball, eat, whatever and enjoy a full sound. Setting up 10 2 way QSC K12's would be a little over kill.....

Please keep in mind, this is my first project like this, and I have done lots of research. I just want the best possible solution, without spending the 900 for an actual IBox.

I have still been looking at the tk2050 2x100w amp. And I won't need a crossover obviously. I feel like this would be the easiest, and I will have plenty of power.

Please keep in mind, this is my first project like this, and I have done lots of research. I just want the best possible solution, without spending the 900 for an actual IBox.

Build a Boominator. Or half a Boominator. It'll do exactly what you want and is a tested and tried design.

The problem with TK2050 amps is naturally that you need a 24V supply, otherwise you obviously will only get 2x15W anyways.

A TA2020 also uses less power at full volume than a TK2050 amp uses in idle. Please note this.

Last edited:
Build a Boominator. Or half a Boominator. It'll do exactly what you want and is a tested and tried design.

The problem with TK2050 amps is naturally that you need a 24V supply, otherwise you obviously will only get 2x15W anyways.

A TA2020 also uses less power at full volume than a TK2050 amp uses in idle. Please note this.

Thank you for that note! I will look further in to the 2020! And yea! I didn't think about doing half of the boominator! Genius lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.