Bookshelf speaker with decent bass?

Hello everybody, newbie here:

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for my PC (not for monitoring, just play games and listen to music), something better than the typical 2.1 Logitech kit, but in a 2.0 fashion trying not to miss the bass so much.

Searching on internet the DIY project "DINAS - Do I need a sub" was pretty promising:

Until I came across these comments about the amp:
  • "The Lepai LP210PA is based on TPA3118 chips without heatsinks so don't use with 4ohm loads! use TPA3116 instead"
  • "The power supply that usually comes in the kit is completely insufficient to give full power"

I'm not sure about the TPA3116 as alternative due I'm currently using one on a Bluetooth chinese board from Aliexpress and it has noticeable background noise and a 'hiss' noise when a bluetooth device is connected (maybe is another component and not the amp itself):
2022-10-05 12_16_40-AIYIMA Placa amplificadora de altavoz de subgraves, amplificador de audio ...png

On top of that i'm from EU and the Lepai LP210PA ($63 on Parts Express) costs 105€ at soundimports.eu. Almost double the price o_O

So my questions are:
  • Suggestions?
  • Alternative /better components?
  • Is there a more convenient way to sound my PC instead of buying 2 amps + 2 good power supply + DAC with volume knob? I've seen some monitors that have all integrated in a single plate:

ce5865e0-0369-419b-ba08-a0a50337e3dc.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Thanks!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Define "decent"
It's not exactly DIY but my computer speakers and my beloveds are small 2-Way HT rears by Sansui. but I got good low bass by getting a dual voice coil woofer and making a box that sites under the desk using a pair of large coils to give a .55 boost.
Just like a set of stereo 2.5way speakers but with the .5 woofers sharing the box by dint of the dual voice coils. An idea from Tandy/RadioShack.
Inductors of about 12mH

Define "decent"
It's not exactly DIY but my computer speakers and my beloveds are small 2-Way HT rears by Sansui. but I got good low bass by getting a dual voice coil woofer and making a box that sites under the desk using a pair of large coils to give a .55 boost.
Just like a set of stereo 2.5way speakers but with the .5 woofers sharing the box by dint of the dual voice coils. An idea from Tandy/RadioShack.
Inductors of about 12mH
Decent bass would be the one you get from a cheap 2.1 set like logitech Z533 (15w/speaker - 30w /sub) but trying getting it from a 2.0 system.
The DINAS project I'm using as example is using a 40w sub on each speaker.... I think with the appropriate amp that should be more than enough.

Define "bookshelf" , as in your maximum exterior dimensions.

Size of a commercial 4-5" active monitor such as KRK RP5, Audioengine HD4. I don't have specific size restrictions

What about a Dayton DTA2.1 Amp to make it simpler, then just add small speakers and a sub under the desk.
I'm currently using an elevating table so I would prefer to have just a 2.0 on top of the desk instead a 2.1

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
We cheapskate frugalphyles just use a secondhand old school stereo amplifier. Mine is an NAD C325BEE I got for about $150-
Nothing wrong with more power than you really need if dollars per watt are relevant, I've always used cheap and second hand stereos for my computers. I just use the computers inbuilt soundcard and send a signal to the amps tape inputs.
For nearfield listening a 5" woofer should be OK but a dual 4" with the second woofer as a .5 also works well