bookshelf speaker project advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jay_WJ said:
Two 2.0 mH 12 AWG foil inductors at $30 w/ free shipping! What a great deal.

I believe what you hear from the inductor change is a .3 to .4 dB sensitivity increase in the lower midrange. This *can* make a noticeable difference in your perception of tonal balance. But this won't make a dramatic/magical change like you describe---but I understand your excitement :)

BTW, treble must be preceived as a bit softened up due to the relative increase of midrange.

Here's my simulation of the inductor effect on your speaker's FR.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

"Wow" is the words Jay. it really has impact. but not night and day as changing from my old speaker spendor s3/5 to your design. but give out details that i miss before.

the sound kinda magical. as the soundstage kinda deepened and better positioning.

the point is that i want to convey is the lower DCR for series inductor really make a different.

yes i think it does change the tonal balance. and it seems everything is better balance than before. feels that there is more balance in overall frequency.

the seller has 100pcs or more of 2mH foil inductors for sale. its not a one time deal. can buy more with that price. pm me if someone interested. i am not related to him. just a happy customer and would like to share

johngalt47 said:
I think I must have missed something.

Which speaker design was actually built?

Hi johngalt47

they are usher 8945P and usher 9950 design by Jay_WJ. you can refer to him if you are interested. i might be able to help regarding this design with my limited knowledge, as i play around quite abit with them.

rule of thumbs is anything in passive crossover thats in series with the woofers or tweeters has to be best quality you can afford.
:smash: :smash: :smash:

update:

with help by Jay, just few tweaks on the crossover design, has propelled this design into another league.

this design is world class !!!!!. i did A/B comparison of this design with Talon Hawk (diamond tweeter) MSRP maybe $19000. This design which just cost a fraction of those numbers, i can honestly say....... its ALMOST matched that Talon Hawk.

At this state of tweaking the crossover. i can conclude that there is still room for improvement which yet i need to experiment with.

the different is most likely not noticeable in most systems. but in my quite revealing systems, i notice "slight" or maybe less pronounce in background music details. details is there, just slightly blurred.

most of the usher background details is there. if say the talon can produce 100% of all the background details, this design can produce 98%. with 2% is for the clarity of slightly better music separation in Talon.

BUT usher excel in base performance and more in other way that i need to find out with more extensive listening.

i cant recommend this design highly enough for diyer that want world class 2 way speakers with just a fraction of what perceived as a REALLY high end speaker costs.

of course, there is definitely slightly better sounding in Talon compare to this design(at this stage with the ongoing tweaking to the crossover design).BUT does that justify the cost different?

At this stage, i do not dare to say that after all the tweaking, this design will match or better the talon, only experiment will tell. all the systems are different, hence in some systems, certain speaker will sound better than the other. BUT!!! the beauty of DIY is that we can tweak and match to the existing systems. NICE !!!

happy listening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.