Bohlender Graebner RD50 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of these that I rarely listen to anymore. Brought them into the den the other day. And I remember why they sounded off to me before. Unless I run an EQ and boost the treble, they don't sound like I want them to sound like. And 'm not that fond of using EQ's if I can help it.

Previous owner said he would run a tweeter mounted to the side of the cabinet. Wire straight to binding posts on back with a capacitor on the "+" side. I have various tweeters I could use. Dynaudio, Vifa, Dayton, Infinity EMIT, RS Linnaeum etc.

Is this a safe why to go? (I don't listen to any of my speakers super loud). If so what size cap should I use? I forget now what the previous owner told me he used.

Guys, I am not positive. Cause I did not build these initially. And I haven't opened them up to look at the XO's. But to my ears, midrange is great. Does not need taming. Just the higher octaves are not there. Well without EQ'ing them and boosting the treble. So I'm thinking maybe the notch filter is already in place.

Or am I missing what you are getting at? I was inquiring about adding a tweeter. Not about taming midrange.

The doc that Fonebones linked to also mentioned a minimum listening distance of 10 feet for the RD50 to prevent suckout of the highs. To quote: “Smaller listening distances may result in a somewhat subjective perception of decreased output at the highest frequencies. This limitation can be overcome in smaller systems with a complementing supertweeter.” From your description it sounds like most of your listening is done nearfield. With BG no longer in business you might see if PE can help you since they used to sell the kit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.