BOFU on Sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

I can recommend this link to all. It was good for me to revisit the tweaks process without having to go through an EnABL thread. The BOFU seems to be ideal for those who want to run a/b experiments on these techniques. I can attest that the larger size of 8 inch makes a do it yourself EnABL job with Bud's kit less intimidating.

Drove up to Parts Express during lunch (75 minute round trip) and bought a pair of B20's (yep $19/each) and some piezo's and will be putting them into the carcass of Realistic T100 cabinets (after applying 2 - 2" ports). Looking forward to hearing them. I already have some RS 40-1354 TL speakers with a small dome tweeter and these are my favorites of over 13 pairs of speakers that I have had. Only problem is that they are also my wife's favorites and they will be staying in the family room and my new B20 speakers will be in my man-cave listening room. Yahoo!!!

Last edited:
http://www.zillaaudio.com/b20-mod.htm

The link above was incorrect, sorry.

>>> Drove up to Parts Express... and bought a pair of B20's (yep $19/each) and some piezo's ... my new B20 speakers will be in my man-cave listening room. Yahoo!!!

I would love to visit PE one day. Enjoy the B20's and your man cave. Just this weekend i was in my man cave (lol) listening to jazz with my dad and he commented "This is a million dollar room."

I got a pair! Ordered on Monday afternoon, fedx delivered them the following morning. But they promised 3-5 business days!

I must confess- I didn't see what all the stink was all about when I bought my first pair at~ $27 each. I tried them in the duel mouthed chang- was very unimpressed. Later, they ended up in a 6'4" monstrosity (not a BiB) that resides in the garage.

Initially the things were too shouty but after quite a few hours of background filler, they've broken in quite well- clean clear lows making for great Less Claypool (primus) bass solo's. Very natural, very live. Even the highs have mellowed out a bit. Mids are no longer dominating the picture. They seem to love anything really nasty- be it blues, garage bands, or industrial. Had a good time listening to to a copy Neuere Deutsche Welle which was a compilation of German language favorites- some familiar such as Trio's DaDaDa I don't love You... and Major Thames (Coming Home). Mostly an esoteric collection of German pop and fledgeling industrial hits you'd never find Stateside. I bought the cd for a bit of international variety; but mainly for the Trio hit and a song called Eisbar. The Bofu's handled them all like champs: made the whole collection worth relistening again.
I would also recommend The Violent Femmes debut album if you likes your accoustical/ upright bass combo.

It was for this very reason that I had to have another pair of b20's and for 19 bucks, you can't go wrong. You just have to be patient breaking them in and finding the cabinet thats right for you.

Are there any comparisons between The Nelson pass design and the BiB for the bofu's? I'm running out of space- the wife would kill me if I built a set of both, regardless where they reside at so I must decide between the two. The ceiling in the garage is only 7' but its a two car job if that effects whether a BiB may work in this application. Are there any other designs floating around that hasn't come to the attention of the DIY posters? I'm currently using this one: http://www.valutronic.se/vh2.html

Anyone want to give that one a try and compare the stats to the other two cabs mentioned and see how it stacks up? Its an easy build and may offer another alternative to try the Bofu in.

>>> Later, they ended up in a 6'4" monstrosity (not a BiB)...

LOL!

>>> They seem to love anything really nasty...

I agree.

I have had my pair of B20's in different sized sealed boxes and on an open baffle with bass support. They work well in both applications. I feel they are a jack of all trades of sorts... and appreciate their low price. No way near perfect but always good!

Godzilla

Anyone want to give that one a try and compare the stats to the other two cabs mentioned and see how it stacks up? Its an easy build and may offer another alternative to try the Bofu in.

I am actually going to put the B20 and a piezo tweeter into a Realistic T-100 cabinet (66 liters) ported to 34 Hz using (2) 5 inch long 2 1/16 inch dia tubes.
See attached WinISD plot for this cabinet and driver.

I will try to post pictures of the build and my take on how they sound.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 26 07.15.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 26 07.15.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 699
I haven't played around with a "cheap" driver since the RS-1354 went away. But at $20 a pop, this was to good to pass up. I have four of the B20FU's on a UPS truck somewhere as I type this.

Based on PE's Clio specs, the B20 takes a pretty big box. A quick pass through UniBox says that a 50L BR tuned to 40Hz might work with no BSC needed. A quick pass through MJK's worksheets says that it might well work in a 65L MLTL I just happen to have laying around.

It isn't going to happen soon, but my intent is to leave one pair stock and butcher the other: ModPodge, phase plug, wizzerectomy and finally an attempt at a coax with the PE 1/2" neo tweet.

I'll post results as I get time.

Bob

I haven't played around with a "cheap" driver since the RS-1354 went away. But at $20 a pop, this was to good to pass up. I have four of the B20FU's on a UPS truck somewhere as I type this.

Based on PE's Clio specs, the B20 takes a pretty big box. A quick pass through UniBox says that a 50L BR tuned to 40Hz might work with no BSC needed. A quick pass through MJK's worksheets says that it might well work in a 65L MLTL I just happen to have laying around.

It isn't going to happen soon, but my intent is to leave one pair stock and butcher the other: ModPodge, phase plug, wizzerectomy and finally an attempt at a coax with the PE 1/2" neo tweet.

Bob

You da' man Bob. The very first full ranger speaker I built was your design for the RS 40-1354 and I still love them to this day (they play almost every day as part of my HT setup - wife loves em' and won't give them up). I added a small 3/4" dome tweeter and the "cage" around the drivers are there so that my 3.5 year old doesn't mess with them (already crumbled the whizzer on one and I had to buy a replacement 40-1354 and believe me they can be hard to find)

Looking forward to any designs you have for the B20 :D I am also going to try some homemade phase plugs with the B20.

Attachments

• DSCF1572.JPG
    DSCF1572.JPG
    908 KB · Views: 406

Bob

Have done all of this but the whizzerectomy. Mine currently use phase plugs rather than coax supertweeters as I haven't yet refined the XO sufficiently. There's a lot of upside on the Bofu, the "grey" sound of it's inexpensiveness is remedied well with modge podge. Definitely make sure to wrap the basket legs in felt or something.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.