Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

hi Bob
i finally got my copy of the pre ordered book here in the uk, i have had a couple of days with it now and i would like to offer my congratulations on this well written and informative work.

I'm glad to hear that you finally got it. Thank you for you kind words about it, and I hope you enjoy it as you read more of it.

Best regards,
Bob

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A question: does anyone have this paper:

Invited paper: Distortion reduction in frequency-dependent feedback-feedforward amplifiers
Authors: N. M. Allinson; J. Wellingham.

It was published by the International Journal of Electronics in 1985. About the distortion-reduction of current-dumping, viewed from the aspect of feedforward-feedback.

tia,

jan didden

Jan, Bob's book is a little light on Black's Feedforward - he obviously wanted to move on to the Hawksford scheme

I just reread Vanderkooy, Lipshitz: http://quad405.com/jaes.pdf

unfortunately I don't have a driving need to go beyond what multiloop negative feedback can achieve

Hi JCX,

You're right about that - I think I devoted all of about one page to feedforward before moving on to HEC. I've never been a fan of feedforward in audio amps because of the output summing problem. I've never built a feedforward amplifier. BTW, the performance of the Quad feedforward amplifier was pretty poor by today's standards - I was honestly never impressed by its design or its performance. I'm not sure if there have been any notable audio feedforward amplifiers since then.

Thanks for the link to the Vanderkooy/Lipshitz feedforward paper - it is a good paper and very thorough.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Your book finally arrived today from amazon. (canceled it at co.uk and ordered it at .com). I read through a few of the many chapters, and I find it very easy to read and follow! There is so much more to read, don't know where i have to find the time!

Congratulations on your wonderful book, I will learn a lot from it and I will enjoy reading it! Thanks

Kind Regards,
Jasper

Hi Bob,

Your book finally arrived today from amazon. (canceled it at co.uk and ordered it at .com). I read through a few of the many chapters, and I find it very easy to read and follow! There is so much more to read, don't know where i have to find the time!

Congratulations on your wonderful book, I will learn a lot from it and I will enjoy reading it! Thanks

Kind Regards,
Jasper

Hi Jasper,

One of the biggest compliments you can give an engineer is that his writing is very easy to read and follow. So thank you very much. I hope you will enjoy the book and get a lot out of it. Enjoy those amplifiers that you will build!

Cheers,
Bob

got to page 396.
progress has slowed substantially!
But, I have completed my first DC analysis, my first AC analysis, my first transient simulation and my first FFT.

BTW,
p393, 7th para, Tperiod=10us, not 10ns

where do I find the feedback site?

Tell this oldie how to remember left click, right click, alt+?, Cntrl+?, etc.
stars and circles spring to mind!

I used to live in the top right hand corner of Scotland, but moved back to civilisation and 12inches of November snow.

Last edited:
I used to live in the top right hand corner of Scotland, but moved back to civilisation and 12inches of November snow.

In Dundee, here. Got work this morning in a mere 6" snow to find it was closed.

It was more difficult getting back home, believe it or not!

Onyhoo, my copy of the book arrived Saturday morning (very quick delivery by an Amazon.co.uk seller)

Excellent read, so far and the best bit from my point of view is that Bob is using exactly my choice of IPS and VAS transistors, 2N5551 & 2N5401, so well pleased.

I note there is not a huge amount of difference between the Cordell and Self books but the additional simulation and testing sections make for a more thorough cover of the subject.

Highly recommended.

Sandy