Bob Carver newest ALS system?

als.jpg

Yep. He's basically taken the speaker he made for Sunfire and turned it into an array.

There's a 3D cutaway online, and based on that cutaway I think the woofers may NOT be Dayton. (ND91s are bigger.)

The tweeters are Dayton or hivi.

I do not get it, how are you supposed to clearly hear first arriving midrange signal when they are all facing sideways.

A three inch driver radiates sound in all directions up to 4500hz.

Due to this, it doesn't matter if the driver faces forwards or faces sideways. Ideally you'd delay the tweeter a fraction of a millisecond to compensate for the pathlength difference.

Any thoughts on these?.......Looks like Dayton Planar tweeters and ND series neo woofers?

Bob's comments re the ribbons, and other questions
New Bob Carver Designed ALS Speakers | Carver Sound and Audio - Carver Amplifier and Carver Audio Product Specs and Information

Two: The ribbon looks like it's from Parts Express
Of course it is. I designed that ribbon over thirteen years ago for a loudspeaker I ended up developing and calling the Sunfire Cinema Ribbon. The ribbon was built in China by Hi-Vi for Homni, my Chinese supplier for drivers at the time. Shortly thereafter I sold the design to Hi-Vi as part of a joint cooperation agreement for manufacturing tooling, and subsequently it was delivered into the public domain by my intent. Hi-Vi, under the joint cooperation agreement, markets it worldwide and now sells it to Parts Express. Again, it was originally designed for my Cinema Ribbon and is still used in Cinema Ribbons today. It is truly an amazing ribbon, if I do say so myself.
Granted my exposure to line arrays hasn't been extensive, and I've not been a fan of the few I have heard, but this does look interesting. Compared to the materials and manufacturing costs of many of the 2 - ways in higher end shops these days, the retail price of $18,500 / pr is not entirely outrageous?

Great story there in the comments section. I remember WAY back in the day, there was quite a bit of discussion about the Hi-Vi and the Parts Express ribbon. They looked identical, but many said the Hi-Vi worked better. I believe there was a site called "speakerbuilder.net" that demonstrated that the Hi-Vi was superior.

The whole thing turned me off to ANY ribbon that looked like the Hi-Vi, and I used BG instead.

But there in the comments, there's an explanation for what happened. This might also explain why I have some ten year old AuraSound drivers that seem to perform better than the units that Parts Express sells nowadays. Kinda sucks because they *look* identical, but looks can be deceiving:

"Mr. Carver, I admire your achievements in Audio but pelase do not disinform your clients and public. The RT-2 ribbon tweeter for your Cinema line was developed by me when I worked at HI-Vi Research at that time in Toronto. It was developed in the beginning of 1997 and around the end of 1997 we started advertising it in Voice Coil and Speakerbuilder magazines. You asked for Rt-2 samples around that time and then showed the Cinema system prototype at 1999 CES I believe with a great sucess. In about a year, in 1999 we at Hi-Vi inclduing its president Mr.Hongbo Yao were very much amazed with the number of RT-2 tweeter copies that another chinese company started showing in China. We learned that they indeed copied HI-Vi’s RT-2 by request of your supplier who was supposed to make Cinema system for you. At that time it was not Homni. If you went back to HI-Vi tweeters since then, good for you, becase I have almost all RT-2 copies from about 3-4 Chinese vendros and none of them performs like RT-2 tweeter.

As far as your claims about line array performance properties they are, mildly put, somewhat illusory. I suggest you read more about line arrays. I have been building ribbon line arrays for residnetial and professional market for 12 years using desgins like your new ALS and many different other ones that are used in sound reinformcent and commercial market.
I suggest you to “refine” your story about your line array product so that it does not look embarassing to readers who know something about line arrays.