Boat making techniques in Speaker Cabinet making....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys, this is a question I've wondered about for a while. There's a course offered out my way at the trades school teaching cabinet making, and as part of the course they do a section on boat and canoe building. If you approached building a speaker cabinet in this way, with a round back like the hull of a boat, do you think you could get some interesting effects? Think it would have any effect? I know i've got a round back ovation guitar, and the design has kept up because it puts out more sound as a general rule. Is the same true for speakers? Think it's worth checking out? Thanks!

I would expect that fiberglass boat building techniques would be better applied to speaker cabinets than wooden boatbuilding techniques. The structure of a boat hull is designed to provide flotation, balance and resistance to hydrodynamic forces, not to be acoustically optimum.

The JBL Ti10k speaker cabinets were built with technique from danish boat-builders.
Very nice sounding speaker. Looking a little bit like a canoe, especially if you glue two of them together.

FWIW, having primarily a woodworking industry background my personal favorite "non-standard" (non-monkey coffin) design / construction methodology for speaker enclosures is that employed by B&W in the Nautilus series. It's rather tricky for a DIYer to emulate the production engineering of even the wooden enclosure portion in entirety (& I've tried more than once ;)) .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.