• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Board Availability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks George

Randy was kind enough to point me in the correct direction regarding the links on your site and about the pricing. The instructions seem very comprehensive from my novices perspective. Before I place my order I think it would be sensible to weigh up my options re: my capabilities, goals for the project etc so I can order the correct kit, transformers etc.

Cheers.

Matt

hello George,

I just wanted to say thanks for the incredibly quick turnaround on the boards I just purchased. On December 7, in the evening here on the west coast, I paypal-ed you. And here it is only the 12th and the boards are in my mailbox. I would love to see tubelab get huge, but please don't ever change this kind of service.....

you beat edcor's delivery by a long shot.

George's products and service are great. The parts and boards that I ordered late on Tuesday, Nov. 22nd were shipped the next day and arrived on Saturday even with the Thanksgiving Day holiday in between. I've completed my first Simple PP using power and output transformers from a Stromberg Carlson ASR-220 console amp & it sounds great!

Thanks George!

hello George,

I just wanted to say thanks for the incredibly quick turnaround on the boards I just purchased. On December 7, in the evening here on the west coast, I paypal-ed you. And here it is only the 12th and the boards are in my mailbox. I would love to see tubelab get huge, but please don't ever change this kind of service.....

you beat edcor's delivery by a long shot.

I don't think Edcor carries stock on every item they sell in their catalog. They don't wind coils for particular transformers until they receive an order for it. They normally have a 2 to 4 week backlog of orders.

...........yes comparing Tubelab & Edcor is mostly apples & oranges. I expect my Edcor order to take weeks. And if I'm not surprised that George's boards came so quickly, I'm nonetheless impressed and delighted.

I like both. Both have excellent service and the products from both work well together. Sorry if my oddly canted sense of humor offended any lurking salesmen.

Hi George,

Just ordered a simple PP board and kit, hoping you have the parts in stock... Looking forward to learning. :)

Mike

I would be very, very grateful if you could just point me at the link or page where I could do the same. With respect, I have just wasted an hour of my life looking for them. The only thing I kept finding was the Simple SE page and the paragraph that starts "I do not sell parts, kits...." so after a while I am starting to check the dates of some of the postings just to make sure I am not totally bonkers.

Thanks a lot.

I'm a complete novice and I had the same problems, thought I was totally stupid as everyone else was busy ordering things from this seemingly magical ordering page. Luckily Randy posted a couple of links for me and some price info-

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubelab/195626-board-availability-12.html#post2812688

The board is $35, the kit $65 and int'l shipping is $15. If you look on the Tubelab site in the tabs to the left is one headed pcb ordering, this takes you to the relevant page that has Georges email address (it's not on this forum because of spam issues). apparently then you simply have to email George requesting the correct board and kit specifying which tube types you want to use and send him the funds by Paypal. If you look through the posts everyone seems to be more than satisfied with the prompt delivery of their boards using this process. I haven't ordered mine yet as I'm still trying to decide between this kit and Pete Milletts Uniamp.

I must say the ordering process above makes it all seem a bit like something from a Le Carre spy novel, but I reckon that's part of the the fun, which is what it's all about I hope.

Cheers

Matt

I don't think Edcor carries stock on every item they sell in their catalog.

They don't stock anything. Every transformer is built on demand. There is a steady stream of recurring orders from OEM's keeping their lines moving. The hobby stuff just fills in their periods of low demand.

yes comparing Tubelab & Edcor is mostly apples & oranges.

Edcor has maybe 50 employees. I have zero. When I started this there were 3 of us, all engineers that were going to design stuff, and make it ready for production. My wife was doing the order handling, email and bookeeping. The two other engineers left the South Florida area in search of employment after the layoffs hit the company where we all worked. My wife has been away more than she is here tending to her terminally ill mother who passed earlier this year. This has left Tubelab to me alone, and I have to keep my full time job first.

I must say the ordering process above makes it all seem a bit like something from a Le Carre spy novel

Yes, I know I need to fix my web site but I have a full time job that keeps me at work till late most nights. It really isn't all that difficult, just send me the funds by Paypal, tell me which boards you want, and make sure that I have your correct address. I will ship to the address provided by Paypal, make sure it is current, or provide the correct one in the text.

I have all 3 boards in stock ($35 USD each) and the parts kit for the Simple P-P ($65). There is a SSE parts kit in the works but it is not ready yet. Shipping in the US is $8 and $15 for the rest of the world.

The USPS is raising their rates AGAIN next year. I have eaten the last 3 rate increases, but probably can't do it again. I will know after I fill in the big spreadsheet and push the calculate button sometime next month.

Everything that was ordered last week was taken to the post office this morning. I was waiting outside before they opened for 1/2 hour to be the first in line. I tried to go Wednesday at lunch time but the line was about 50 people long and the postal clerks aren't the fastest workers around.

I am leaving town very early tomorrow morning for a 1200 mile drive. Any order that comes in over the weekend will be shipped out Monday morning from where the snow falls from the sky.

Hi George

Maybe some of your site isn't bang up to date, but it's very impressive that the sections of your website that would be most important for someone like me - Getting started, Clear step by step build instructions, Parts lists, SAFETY TIPS and even a page on metreage usage, are all up to date and comprehensive. So if it takes a bit of sleuthing and a couple of questions on the forum to find out how to order as I said it's kind of part of the fun, more personal than Buy it Now on ebay.

I think that considering that you and your wife do this on your own in what is clearly limited spare time and with all the other things that you have been dealing with over the past few months, the fact that you are so dedicated to ensuring that peoples orders are dispatched within a couple of days is clear indication of your dedication and professionalism. The feedback from people on this and many other forums about your service and the amps themselves makes that obvious. A shame a few major international companies don't apply the same level of integrity and commitment to their products and services!

Cheers

Matt

Organ OPT in amps

Hi,

I have have a number of output transformers from various baldwin and hammond organ amps. i wondered if you have built anything from them. I have many that use 6bq5 tubes about 8 of them. and I have some that are larger designed for 4 6bq5 PPP. Could any of these be used for guitar SET amp? Or do you have any good driver for these. I was considering making a Vox clone with one of the 6bq5 PPP have power trans that are overkill and will work. Some use 7199 as drivers others 12ax7a tubes but have larger preamp circuits prior. Any thoughts? thanks Mojoworkin3

Yes, I still have boards and parts kits, your order to the UK goes to the post office tomorrow.

Yes, the board is $35, parts kit is $65 and shipping is $8 in the US and $15 to the rest of the world. I intend to keep those prices the same until my supply of electrolytics runs out. The prices of electrolytics has gone up considerably since I bought enough for a hundred kits about a year and a half ago. I have only sold about 20 kits so far, so there are plenty left.

My web site is a bit messed up since I had to quickly remove all traces of the name "Simple" when used with the common abbreviation for "Single Ended" due to a legal threat. I have had little time to fix it, but a total rebuild is coming with some new stuff too. The pages are all there but some links are broken.

I will be out of town from next week until sometime in January, so there will be no time to build a test amp. I am making arangements for someone else to build one while I am gone though.

I always take boards and kits with me so I can ship them from wherever.

I ordered PCBs.

Hi George,

I ordered and paid by PAYPAL for Tubelab SE pcbs.
I got no reply from you but I expect that you have received them and would send them. MY address is the same as PAYPAL info.

I see that you are going through some change in your operation and I wish you good luck.

Chul

I ordered and paid by PAYPAL for Tubelab SE pcbs. I got no reply from you but I expect that you have received them and would send them.

I was out of town all weekend. I got your Paypal payment last night, and sent an email reply including the customs tag number which can be tracked in some countries. The boards were sent this morning. The tag number is LC183139419US.

New here, looking for first tube amp kit

Hello all. I have spent a few weeks researching a tube amp to build, and I would really like to build a SimplePP. I emailed George about a week ago, thinking that maybe he has closed down since I have not heard back. But then I found this thread and now realize that he is going through a lot and apparently I can just send him the $108 for a board, kit, and shipping, and then expect it in my mailbox very quickly.

So I will probably go ahead and do that this week. But I'd like some recommendations on tubes and transformers. I think it would be best to go the EL84/6BQ5 route. Is there a specific make of EL84 anyone recommends that are a good balance of cost/performance? Is anyone using new JJ/Sovtek tubes, or are NOS the best option?

For OPTs I'm thinking of using Edcor's XPP XPP25-8CT-7.6K. Seems like a good deal for 25W at $31 ea. And a XPWR066-240 for PT.

As I understand it, the kit does not come with a pot for volume, any recommendations?

Those are fine choices for transformers. Lots of people are using modern production tubes. That is part of the appeal of this amp. The New Sensor tubes (Sovtek, Mullard/Gold Lion/etc reissue) are based on a older Russian design. It is a fine tube, but the screens don't like the "spec bending" B+ of this design. The JJ tube seems to be able to handle anything we throw at it and is a safe bet.

I would start with a set of JJ. Once you have your amp up and running, you'll know where your B+ voltage really is. From that you can gauge how the New Sensor tubes will behave. There are some ways to lower your screen voltage a bit, if need be.

The 23% UL tap one is the better one to go for as Hafler and others found it was more optimal for EL84/6V6 tubes run in UL. This is why the Dynaco Z-565 and it's clones are done this way. I'm pointing this out as Dave Gillespie brought this up in the forms. More info at diyaudio.com under the ST-35 form.

http://www.edcorusa.com/p/799/cxpp25-ms-8k-23

This is a 40% one.. I think your price is for the 15W versions as the one you quoted is about $47

http://www.edcorusa.com/p/429/cxpp25-ms-8k

All the above have multiple output taps which can be useful! Sometimes other taps work better on a given speaker.

I second the JJ tubes. I use them in vintage amps which are hard on tubes.

Randy

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.