Blown Capacitor in Peavey CS-400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I deal with Peavey all the time with commercial amplifiers and other gear. I have always received prompt attention.
I would suggest either calling Peavey and getting a hold of their service department or contacting someone like Mouser and giving them the PN off the cap so it can be crossed to another brand.

It would be very easy to go on line punch in the cap size, pick one of the same rating and puchase it. It sounds like you are talking about a power supply cap and therefore I would advise in changing both of them. I am assuming there is only 2 and not a bank of them.

I'm not an electronics or amp expert at all. First time I've ever really opened anything like this. Great way to learn :) There are two of them. The only id on the top is C5. Is that what you mean by the cap size?

Can you recommend a site that I could go to so I can "punch in the size"?

Sorry, I guess I should have explained.

You will need to know the cap diameter,height, working voltage, how many mfd, and mounting type. Example of mounting type is it soldered to the PC board or is it a screw terminal? When you know the answer to these questions you can call Mouser and talk to a sales person or go on line and find a suitable replacement pair.

Post a picture please

Does this help?

Is Mouser a store? Do you have a number?

As for the capacitor, what makes you think it's blown?

Has a hole in it! An oily residue has also leaked out.

Is the fuse blown?

No... I opened the cover and turned it on. Every 10 seconds or so there was an electrical arcing from the capacitor.

The pic should be attached correctly this time!

Attachments

• capacitor-003---for-web1.jpg
    capacitor-003---for-web1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 189
burnedfingers said:
I deal with Peavey all the time with commercial amplifiers and other gear. I have always received prompt attention.

Do you have a commercial account with them? The last time I emailed them for info on a transistor they would only provide the name of the local dealer. I don't blame them, they should support their authorized reps.

Do you have a commercial account with them?

My employer does therefore I get the attention that I need to solve any problem. If I need a transistor or other part they send it to us.

Thanks for this link: Do you think they would work for my Amp?

Your welcome

Measure and see. Sorry I can't be of more help. To be honest I don't remember the layout of this particular amp. Are the caps around anything else that would cause a problem? I would assume that they are by themselves and you would only have to worry about being able to make a slight movement in the brackets. I would guess it is do able. You may have to change the brackets. In the past I have been able to squeeze a larger cap into that size bracket. You may have to play with the mounting tabs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.