BLINDTEST: Midrange 360-7200hz, NO audible difference whatsover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to comment other than to say that I think an interesting test would be to use a tone generator at any frequency within the described bandwidth rather than a music source and conduct the tests again. Start at say 500 Hz and go up to 5 kHz in increments and see what the results are. I have a feeling some of the differences would become clear.

Last edited:
Hi JonBocani.
Many thanks for another fab feather ruffling thread! I'm sure many lurkers like myself will be following with great interest! My fantasy alnico magnetted, rectangular voice coiled, dead sea scroll grade papyrus coned, goop spot encrusted midrange drivers shall forever remain over the audiofool rainbow!

I wouldn't dare to presume what you did or didn't hear and why would it have any relevance to me? These discussions are always pointless and go nowhere, endless repetition and ducking and diving. As someone alluded to, the OP has used a variation of his usual clickbait thread title, he's probably just bored. ;)

The relevance to you is that you commented in an illogical way! Pointless, I would disagree, ducking and diving though;)

I'm not going to comment other than to say that I think an interesting test would be to use a tone generator at any frequency within the described bandwidth rather than a music source and conduct the tests again. Start at say 500 Hz and go up to 5 kHz in increments and see what the results are. I have a feeling some of the differences would become clear.

Of course it will be differences with such broad spectrum, keep the driver in its comfort zone and it will be a different story

Jon, I'm particularity interested in you EQ methodology.
As in:
How were each of the drivers mounted?
How did you measure each of the drivers to determine corrections... what software, measuring distance, room etc?
What degree of EQ correction was applied? To what smoothing?
If IIR, how many filters, Q limitations, etc, ..... or perhaps FIR? If FIR, what software?
How did you level match? Using broad band pink for instance? Or a few discrete tones?

Please understand, I am not asking these questions to chop away at your tests / statements / conclusions.

I'm asking because I spend a great deal of time on processing, learning how to make very different type systems sound the same, other than for pattern control.

Hello Mark,

Sorry for my bluntness but: the EQ methodology is entirely irrelevant, in the context of my test. Here is why:

At the very start of the project, the intention was to find ''the best'' midrange driver. Not to fool everyone's mind with an identification blind test. It was rather a appreciative blind test that I had in mind, which means ''which one from A and B do you like the most'' sort of test...

But the thing is, any appreciative blind test MUST follow an identification blind test. The very logic behind that is you can't say you prefer chocolate ice cream from vanilla ice cream if tasted blindly you can't even differentiate the two... So far, you follow me?

So here is the thing: I DID NOT put much effort in the EQ. Was even a bit sloppy, to be honest. Simply because, in my mind, that was not the real test at that moment. In my mind differences would be soooo obvious between each drivers that I made that test more as a formality.

But then, BOOM. Surprise. Even with that sloppy EQ, leaving obviously sonic differences between each drivers, we were UNABLE to spot them from each other.

:eek:

See where I'm going with that?

Why bother doing some ultra-precise 1/48 octave EQ within 0.1db if the sloppy EQ is already blurring everything and fooling our senses?

...on the other hand, you can be damn sure if we were ABLE to spot, say, the compression driver from the Voxativ, I would have made further EQing to make sure it couldnt be improved...

So basically, a bad EQ or a sloppy SPL-matching would have HELP to identify said drivers, not the other way around. It's simple logic.

In fact, basically ANY flaw in that test, in regards of calibration or misalignment of axis, would have open doors to spot the drivers.

But it didnt happen. Not even close.

Last edited:
Hi JonBocani.
Many thanks for another fab feather ruffling thread! I'm sure many lurkers like myself will be following with great interest! My fantasy alnico magnetted, rectangular voice coiled, dead sea scroll grade papyrus coned, goop spot encrusted midrange drivers shall forever remain over the audiofool rainbow!

Can you imagine Marty, I paid thousands for a pair of Voxativ fullranges that basically were indistinguishable from some 10$ drivers...

But, hey, let's be fair with the german marvel: it was able to go well over 100db, and all the way to 18-20khz without EQ correction, and with pretty decent power response for a 8 incher. Not to mention the nice look.

Well, I still expected more from it. :eek:

Why are you EQ it?

EQ and SPL matching was made obviously to avoid identifying the drivers solely because of their (huge) natural differences...

But now that I made the test, I wouldnt be surprised at all if two similar specd drivers would be indistinguishable even NOT matched with an EQ or SPL..

In fact, it takes a minimum of 0.3db differencial and sometimes up to 1.5db differencial to spot a difference in regards of SPL.

Also, on the frequency response, you can have as much as 1/2 octave differencial and not being able to spot it blindly...

1.5db and 1/2 octave... that's a lot.

For the participants, it would be both difficult to bear round after round and probably more confusing than simply music.

Also, results would be somewhat irrelevant. One can argue that nobody listens pure tones. Well, not normal people at least. :p

In fact, basically ANY flaw in that test, in regards of calibration or misalignment of axis, would have open doors to spot the drivers.

The biggest FLAW in the test appears to be the qualifications of the listeners, which you so far have failed to reveal or discuss. Without qualified listeners the rest of anything you post is useless.

Have you ever read Toole? It does not appear that you have.

The biggest FLAW in the test appears to be the qualifications of the listeners, which you so far have failed to reveal or discuss. Without qualified listeners the rest of anything you post is useless.

Are you talking about the holy quest of the golden ear?

What is, for you, a ''qualified listener'' ?

Would be very curious to hear about the official definition of that.

This looks like quite some effort, pity the report is just a few lines and the usual JB debate-baiting. Please tell us in some detail and some context. It is a worthy endeavour.

Did you only play the midrange, nothing below or above?

Good point.

All the info is in the other threads but I will make the effort to gather everything I can in post #1 later.

And to answer your question: yes, the midrange: 360hz-7200hz exclusively.

First, it was planned as the first of few speaker tests (next would have been tweeters and woofer/subwoofers)...

Also, was the easiest to organize because it's bearable to hear only 360-7200hz alone, while testing the tweeters and subs would have needed a common midrange/fullrange...

Also, pushing the drivers as low as 360hz was a challenge for some (the Radian 950PB-BE) and it was a challenge to push some to 7200hz (Dayton woofer), so we decided that 360-7200hz bandwith was the maximum possible for that test.

Last edited:
Well, don't be mad at me but that's another wrong premise:

you are just proving what all of us here already knew

''all of us'', for starters, that is quite vague.

Also, from my observations, for people ''who knows'' they take decisions that are going the opposite way: spending money, time and energy on things that are not audible, therefore useless on the final results...

I thought it would be obvious that the implication was "all of us but you."

These discussions are always pointless and go nowhere, endless repetition and ducking and diving. As someone alluded to, the OP has used a variation of his usual clickbait thread title, he's probably just bored. ;)

That's a rather presumptuous assumption, isn't it ?

These discussions, my dear fellow DIYer, are ''always pointless and go nowhere'', as you say, when some individuals are not participating in a constructive fashion.

Should I presumptuously assume you are one of them?

;)

Next.

fair enough. Personally i doubt that a metal mid vs a paper mid, even if eq'ed to measure exactly the same, would sound identical on a long term basis.

my direction in hifi is simplification. no eq for me, i use well behaved drivers that match well together without the need of various eq.

It is certainly a noble cause. At least, apparently. Except that the complete evacuation of the EQ in the high-fidelity equation is as out of phase of our time as cleaning the heads of a super VHS player.

Status
Not open for further replies.