BLH design for FaitalPRO 3FE25?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone here had made use of the FaitalPRO 3FE25 speakers in a back-loaded horn design, or if there was a suitable design out there that could accommodate them.

They're great speakers, but I'm currently not using them, and I'd love to!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dan

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You might be surprised how much bass can be had… not low bass thou. Just enuff to give you that impression.

They should work in the Frugel-Horn Lite. You may have to use more stuffing than is usual under the driver.

FH-Lite-protosS.jpg

dave

Why? You are likely to fail to produce any reasonable bass from 3" mid-tweeter in no matter what backloaded.
Why not fast.
Do not take me wrong, i like faitalpro. I am just being realistic.

Thanks for the input adason! I'd read around this forum, and seen the concerns regarding the speaker's performance below 200Hz, so my guess would be to just cater for that.

You might be surprised how much bass can be had… not low bass thou. Just enuff to give you that impression.

They should work in the Frugel-Horn Lite. You may have to use more stuffing than is usual under the driver.

Thanks Dave! It sounds like the Frugel-Horn Lite would work well coupled with a sub or two crossed at 160Hz or something like that. I use the Bill Fitzmaurice T18s, and they do quite well up to 300Hz.

My plan is to use them with a television, but it doesn't need to be a dynamic listening experience, so a thinner Bass response might be more appropriate :)

Does corner-loading the Frugel-Horn Lites assist their response?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Does corner-loading the Frugel-Horn Lites assist their response?

Yes. That is how they should be used for maximum bass.

Measuring the response of a back-loaded horn in a room is a can of worms because the room dominates. Move the mic a couple inches and you can have something that looks quite different.

The sim with the FF85wk shows an F10<75Hz. How low it goes in a real room is dependent on the room and the placement in it.

FHL-FR-sim-wF10.gif

dave

3" driver BLH

Hello,
i made a few BLH for 3", i will test the 16 Ohm in a double horn with 2+2 driver.
Flute sat down to 100 Hz
or the double horns Mini-Posaune, Trombone, Kornett for 2+2 16 Ohm.
Flute
MiniPO
trombone
and new the double horn sat down to 100 Hz, driven with only 110 µF
gets a low membran movement and a superb soundstage near a wall 10-20 cm
http://www.hm-moreart.de/136.htm

Mini Posaune mit 2 x scan speak bass down 35 Hz in my 22 qsm room,
sensational IMP, compair it with any other construction!
real measurements look for example the single simulations below the Kornett measurements

Attachments

• minipo1m0°.jpg
    minipo1m0°.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 530
  • miniposaune2web.jpg
    miniposaune2web.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 532
  • minipoImp.jpg
    minipoImp.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
A Swedish guy called Linnar did make som FLH for a 4" that could play loud, fully horn loaded that is. a BLH need to transit to a direct radiator above the horn range, here is where things fall appart for small drivers. If the transition is in the 100-200 Hz range the main power octaves is handled by a small direct radiator

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone here had made use of the FaitalPRO 3FE25 speakers in a back-loaded horn design, or if there was a suitable design out there that could accommodate them.

They're great speakers, but I'm currently not using them, and I'd love to!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dan

any progress unaHm? Can you post the pics from your build?

I made a BiB (Bigger is Better) pipehorn design for a small array for even smaller driver. I get bass extension to about 60 Hz with those. Due to room modes, I get better results crossing over to a multisub solution around 100Hz, but the drivers in the arrays don't mind playing to 60 Hz in this design.

7 of these Faital drivers gives a cone area of about a 8" driver, 2 mm linear x-max (did I read that right?) is a lot more than say a Lowther or a Fostex 8" drivers. Based on Fs and with some BiB rules-of-thumb, bass extension to about 40 Hz could be feasible at pretty good max-SPL.

Would not be very small, really not as small as the FH-Lite. But my BiB really surprised me. Bitter negotiations are underway with SWMBO about bigger BiB's! :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.