blackout cloth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
blackout cloth a basically cloth that has been painted white, black and white again with fabric paint. you can see this on the edge.

I imagine if you make a fine enough stitch then buy some white and black paint and fill the stitch it wouldn't be that noticeable if at all. Just make sure you match the color as close as possible.
Check DIAMONDS for this paint. (use flat or dull paint, anything shinny will show)

Its obvious to make the stitch vertical. That way you have the shortest stitch possible going throught the screen. Movie theater screens use this method. Horizonta would be a much wider stitch. Unless you dont mind having a long wide stitch going through the lower portion of the screen.

ap0the0sis

i don't think it's painted. i'm pretty sure it's really three layers of cloth.

good point about the horizontal vs. vertical. assume for a minute though, that the seams were the same length, which do you think would be more noticeable/distracting?

dan

fyi: i am going for a 69x92 screen so i don't think i have a choice due to the size of the fabrics i have been able to find.

Blackout cloth is painted. you can peel the layers off with a sharp blade. (i have alot of time on my hands) :D

If you're going for a screen that size then you have no choice but to have the stitch going horizontal. Try to make the stitch seem on the lowest part of the screen as you can. Go to a fabric store and get a piece of blackout cloth then have it stitched to see how noticeble it is. It'll cost you no more than $3.00 - $4.00 to try it.

It would be most noticable going horizontal. So try filling the stitch with paint to see if you can kill the seem.

When you mount the fabric onto the screen frame you have to pull and stretch it so you wont have sags and it might open up the seem just a bit (little pin holes)

good luck and experiment.

ap0the0sis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.