Blackgate N voltage rating question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I just replaced the Rubycon ZA output caps in my Scott Nixon TubeDac+ with Blackgate Ns.

I must say I prefer the Blackgates by a large margin over the ZA's even though the BG's were just put in and the ZA's (and the whole TubeDac+) have had 2 month of regular music to burn in.

I only had 100uF 16v BG's handy, so I used those. They're really too big physically and hang off the board in a kind of humorous and precarious way.

My question is, is there any advantage or disadvantage to using a cap that's voltage rating is way too high?

I understand that the TubeDac+ outputs well under 2V, so a 6.3V rated cap is plenty big and would fit the space much better. The 16v one is really too large.

Will using a cap with such a high voltage rating compromise the sound, or does it not matter?

Thanks,
KT

Hi,

The voltage diference you have mentioned it not seems too exagerated since a 16V capacitor is polarized with 2V. As the capacitor is well polarized there is no problem however, in general, you should not exceed the ratio 1:4 in those voltages, otherwised the capacitor could not have voltage enough to achieved a "strong" dielectric polarization compromising the equivalent resistance (ESR) with a leakage larger than the normal value.

Regards,
VS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.